. .
    Hi
    I am thinking of buying this kind of welding magnets like these
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/4x-50Lb-Magn...8AAOSwXshWqqCr

As I have not use such tool before, I would like to hear your opinion about what to be careful of.
    It says 9lbs, 25lbs, 50lbs, 75lbs. Any opinion about how many lbs I will need for example for 40X40 80X80 rectangular tubes, just to have an idea about how strong magnets I will need for my constructions

Other than ebay do you have any supplier that will ship international

Thanks for your time
    The creative adult, is the child who survived

Magnetism and welding don't really mix, it distorts the arc. That said these type of magnets are ok if your are simply going to hold the material to tack it up before removing them and fully welding it. As for how many you need will depend on the weight/shape/size and contact area of the material. If you are welding parts together on say a steel bench you wouldn't need as many to hold it together compared to trying to weld parts hanging off the end of the bench.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Web Goblin For This Useful Post:

I used these for tacking up my frame to hold things square, like a 3rd, 4th, 5th etc. hand. I got some cheap ones off eBay and can't remember what rating they were, but they weren't super strong....
    Neil...

Build log...here

5. I used only two of the these and they were handy: https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cht1...eld-clamp-set/

Get some regular, mechanical clamps as they are by far the most useful.

I got a couple of these for a darned good price http://welduk.com/product/sip-07649-...rs-angle-clamp

Cropwell,
    ive got a couple of those as well. Using them on a job at the moment. They are very handy indeed. I don't remember them being that expensive though but ive had mine for a long time now.

Quote Originally Posted by Web Goblin View Post
    Cropwell,
    ive got a couple of those as well. Using them on a job at the moment. They are very handy indeed. I don't remember them being that expensive though but ive had mine for a long time now.
    I paid £80 or £100 for the pair, I can't recall which and I don't keep receipts. Everywhere else I looked was nearly £90 each. Don't forget these are the 9" ones and they are hefty buggers. I also bought the kit to make a Dinse earth lead and clamp and they assembled it for me for nowt. Weld UK were very helpful and their prices are good. I would certainly recommend them for welding kit and consumables.

No! I don't have any part in their business, apart from being a customer.

Cheers,

Rob

I've got the magnets too, they are OK for small work and do come in handy while you get the tacks on, I'd go for the 4"/100mm version, I've actually got both (smaller ones for 25x25 box). However I would suggest getting yourself some nice big sash clamps/f-clamps as mentioned above, you can really "gronk" on those when you need to and they don't really cost that much more on eBay than the bigger magnets, the clamps will come in handy for other jobs you may find yourself doing later on too, so would be a better investment if you ask me, again I've got both and each serve their own purpose.

.Me
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 17-02-2016 at 10:10 PM.
    .Me

Thread Information