. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hello

Thank you for entering in my post

I read once in a post that only the supplier and the government knows the composition of the Armoured Steel used to machine armored cars for the Ministry of Defense, is that true or there is any way find out the composition of this material

I want to make sure it is really a secret or it can be known

thank you very much in advance for your help
    Last edited by hoezap; 13-03-2016 at 12:27 AM.

only the supplier and the government knows the composition of the Armoured Steel used to machine armored cars
    You mean manufacture?

Probably the composition is not secret but they are not going to tell you what grade it is. You may find it is some speciality steel that you can buy but they are not going to advertise it as "used to make armoured cars"
    https://emvioeng.com
    Machine tools and 3D printing supplies. Expanding constantly.

Yes Manufacture Thank you

Nothing fancy on armoured cars, the good stuff for tanks is a sort of hard soft layer cake. Google Chobham armour for vague details.

What do you want armour plate for?

Koromatias may you please tell me the difference between composition of the material and grade of the material, i know the composition indicates all the percenteges of carbon, airon, and any other component, but what do you indicate with a grade?

Quote Originally Posted by hoezap View Post
    Koromatias may you please tell me the difference between composition of the material and grade of the material, i know the composition indicates all the percenteges of carbon, airon, and any other component, but what do you indicate with a grade?

OK so composition just is the mix of materials as you already know. Once you mix them all you can then do lots of different processes to achieve the "Grade". Grade is a very broad term actually. It can encompass many meanings. Post metal processes, material properties, quality, inspection requirements, etc etc.

For example you can heat treat certain metals,(quench, temper) to make them harder. You can cold forge some to to make them stronger.
    Quality wise. For example for the same material and heat treat you can accept differing percentage of defects or flaws. There's are usually set out in standards like ISO/Aisi etc. Of course a customer can also set out specifications and requirements and make their own grading system. The supplier would then need to cherry pick the raw material.

So when sellers of various trinkets say aerospace grade titanium it could mean anything. To me it just shows the seller is clueless and probably used the most common grade or whatever was handy. Surgical grade stainless is another one that makes me laugh.

My advice to you if you want to know more about the materials you are working with is to find the suppliers or mills documentation. The datasheets will explain many aspects of the material and grading. If the material is generic and not proprietary you can even look up the corresponding iso or national standard
    Last edited by komatias; 13-03-2016 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Spelling
    https://emvioeng.com
    Machine tools and 3D printing supplies. Expanding constantly.

It's iron man isn't it? You are planning to build a suit.
    The tricky bit is the power source
    Last edited by Robin Hewitt; 13-03-2016 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hewitt View Post
    It's iron man isn't it? You are planning to build a suit.
    The tricky bit is the power source
    There's no trick to it Robin.? . . . . You can go around any city about 2am and see the Power source of Iron Man.!! . . Beer and kabab..

Thank you very much for your teaching komatias

how can you measure the grade of the material and what sort of information can you achieve from it in terms of machining
    Thank you very much indeed again for your time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information