. .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JW1977 View Post
    Machine size is about 600x900 inside the frame. 2 RM1610 screws at X and 1605 at Y and Z. The x axes will be slaved by belt and a larger motor.
    I want to be able to work with alu as good as possible with this gear. The router is a Makita 700 something...
    My router has an inside area of 970 by 500 and I use an 8Nm Nema 34 driving twin 1610 ballscrews via a belt (I'm using a 230V driver not an AM882 to get the speed) in my X, Nema 23s on Y and Z with Y having a 1610 and Z having a 1605 ballscrew driven by AM882 drivers...it munches MDF and I have it at 7500 m/min plus for cutting plastic such as Acetal....I also use the IP-M and its a great piece of kit.

Your belt will be more like 2m to 2.5m long with a cutting area you're looking for.
    Last edited by njhussey; 16-02-2016 at 11:24 PM.
    Neil...

Build log...here

2. The Following User Says Thank You to njhussey For This Useful Post:

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 11 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    You and others say that the "hard correction procedure" work well so im leaning towards that or the belt drive...
    I would go with the single belt rather than the solid stops It is a tried and tested route with many people using it. If you can afford it go with the mains 230V drive and the nema 34 for the twin screws. The AM882 drives are good they also have stall detection. Make sure you get the 8 wire low inductance motors for the Y and Z axis

Good luck with the build
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by njhussey View Post
    My router has an inside area of 970 by 500 and I use an 8Nm Nema 34 driving twin 1610 ballscrews via a belt (I'm using a 230V driver not an AM882 to get the speed) in my X, Nema 23s on Y and Z with Y having a 1610 and Z having a 1605 ballscrew driven by AM882 drivers...it munches MDF and I have it at 7500 m/min plus for cutting plastic such as Acetal....I also use the IP-M and its a great piece of kit.

Your belt will be more like 2m to 2.5m long with a cutting area you're looking for.
    Thanks! I went through your build log, nice work!
    I’m also into RC and are really looking forward to get the machine ready.
    After all the input from you and others here I will probably go for the IP-M and I will slave the X by belt.
    About the belt and pulleys . Can you recommend any products? If I remember correctly the distance between the centers of my ball screws is 684 mm at X.
    I was figuring twice that + a little for the pulleys and some kind of tension adjustment device at center.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    I would go with the single belt rather than the solid stops It is a tried and tested route with many people using it. If you can afford it go with the mains 230V drive and the nema 34 for the twin screws. The AM882 drives are good they also have stall detection. Make sure you get the 8 wire low inductance motors for the Y and Z axis

Good luck with the build
    Im gonna do do that!
    I havent studied the drivers that much yet but i mentioned the AM882 as an example of a "better" driver.
    I will definetly go for Mains 230V.

Thanks!
    Last edited by JW1977; 17-02-2016 at 09:10 AM.

Can you recommend any products? If I remember correctly the distance between the centers of my ball screws is 684 mm at X.
    I was figuring twice that + a little for the pulleys and some kind of tension adjustment device at center.
    It will depend on how you setup the tensioning system and idlers. But with 20 teeth pulleys which is good size because gives nice balance of teeth engaged and pulley size which affects inertia of the screw and can have big affect on power requirements. Arranged something like whats in the picture then your belt length will be in the region of 1600mm.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	belt.png 
Views:	241 
Size:	127.9 KB 
ID:	17613

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    It will depend on how you setup the tensioning system and idlers. But with 20 teeth pulleys which is good size because gives nice balance of teeth engaged and pulley size which affects inertia of the screw and can have big affect on power requirements. Arranged something like whats in the picture then your belt length will be in the region of 1600mm.

Name:	belt.png 
Views:	241 
Size:	127.9 KB 
ID:	17613
    Yes, something like that.
    I liked the principle of this one...

Name:	Belt.png 
Views:	209 
Size:	391.6 KB 
ID:	17614
    Last edited by JW1977; 17-02-2016 at 11:16 AM.

Yes that way works ok and I've used similar setups my self in past but ideally you want to reduce the amount of idlers to minimum. So if you have no restrictions to where motor goes etc then other way is slightly better. Less friction, less to go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Yes that way works ok and I've used similar setups my self in past but ideally you want to reduce the amount of idlers to minimum. So if you have no restrictions to where motor goes etc then other way is slightly better. Less friction, less to go wrong.
    Yes, you’re right. One pulley is a better solution… But the symmetrical one looks nicer…

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JW1977 For This Useful Post:

Yes, you’re right. One pulley is a better solution… But the symmetrical one looks nicer…
    Both look the same after you put cover over them to protect . .

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Lives in a, Netherlands. Last Activity: 07-05-2020 Has been a member for 7-8 years. Has a total post count of 46. Received thanks 4 times, giving thanks to others 0 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by njhussey View Post

I'm building a 1250mm sq router planned to run at 10m a minute, using 2 nm steppers....
    Calculations suggested 8 nm would get me 12m a minute or so.

Direct drive, 1610 screws, 2 motor/screws for the gantry.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information