. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    What the Best cad for beginner at a afordable price

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

That's a bit like asking what's the best first car. What do you need to do with it?

Technical drawing with geometric tolerances or just 3D modeling for CAM and 3d printing?

If the later look up fusion 360 or sketchup. If the former you need a pro package like inventor, Creo, solid works/edge.

An oddball one that i could not get on with was OnShape that runs in your internet browser(sic)
    https://emvioeng.com
    Machine tools and 3D printing supplies. Expanding constantly.

Before investing in a package (even investing your time in a free one) research what others are using to achieve what you want to achieve.
    There's quite a learning curve to any 3D CAD package and a similar if not steeper one for 3D CAM so it's nice to know that when you get near the top that you're climbing the right mountain ;-)

- Nick

It's for a plasma cad will only be 2d

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

If you look here https://www.3ds.com/products-service...-cad-software/ you will find a free version. It is almost an AutoCAD clone.
    Last edited by cropwell; 14-02-2016 at 01:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cropwell View Post
    If you look here https://www.3ds.com/products-service...-cad-software/ you will find a free version. It is almost an AutoCAD clone.
    I totally agree with this one. I have been using Draftsight for several years now and I came from an autocad background. The price is right and it is easy to use. There are several tutorials available and it only requires the internet to register it. Once in a rare while, I get an email from them, but not a lot.
    Art

AKA Country Bubba
    (Older than Dirt)

For 2D stuff I get on quite well with the freebie QCAD; I've no previous background so I'm quite happy to learn what others would probably call it's "idiosyncrasy".

For 3D stuff I really love OnShape as mentioned above. Again, completely free, very easy to use for me (having come from DelCam Powershape) and when you consider what you can do with it without spending any money, it's a pretty cool tool. I use it mainly for 3D printed parts. Don't poo-poo it straight away because it's browser based, but obviously it does necessitate an always-on internet connection. If you want private designs in it, unshared with the world, then you'll hit the free limits quickly though - and then, at $100 per month, it's not cheap. Their pricing could really do with an intermediate level IMHO.
    Last edited by brumster; 15-02-2016 at 10:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by brumster View Post
    .... If you want private designs in it, unshared with the world, then you'll hit the free limits quickly though - and then, at $100 per month, it's not cheap. Their pricing could really do with an intermediate level IMHO.
    That!
    https://emvioeng.com
    Machine tools and 3D printing supplies. Expanding constantly.

Fusion 360 is the same price as OnShape for home/hobby users - that is, free - and doesn't seem to have the same storage limits. That's one reason I use it; the others are that it seems to be a bit more powerful than OnShape and with more fancy features (although that comes at the price of a bit more complexity) and that it has a pretty good built-in CAM package. Although it is 3D, you can in effect use it as a 2D drawing package (and export DXF files if you want). I used to use TurboCAD but now do even simple drawings in F360.

Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    Fusion 360 is the same price as OnShape for home/hobby users - that is, free - and doesn't seem to have the same storage limits. That's one reason I use it; the others are that it seems to be a bit more powerful than OnShape and with more fancy features (although that comes at the price of a bit more complexity) and that it has a pretty good built-in CAM package. Although it is 3D, you can in effect use it as a 2D drawing package (and export DXF files if you want). I used to use TurboCAD but now do even simple drawings in F360.
    Can you elaborate a bit more on the licensing model? It says "full use for 90 days", what happens after 90 days? Might be tempted to try it if it doesn't have to limitations of OnShape... mind you, I do like OnShape :(....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information