. .

Thread: Looooobrication

Hi guys

I'm in the middle of doing my first build which i will hopefully sort a build log out for as soon as i sort the digi camera out. It dawn on me whilst assembling the X axis what i should be using to lube the linear round bar slide bearings with? Grease or oil? I have these mounted on plain steel. whats your thoughts?

Paul

i'v been using some Lithium 2 Grease:

A Premium quality mineral oil, lithium thickened lubricating grease suitable for general purpose applications in plain and anti-friction bearings.

Conforms to leading bearing manufacturers specifications for general purpose industrial and automotive grease.

Cant remember what the price was for a tube, ill find out tomoz and let you know.

Cant be much more the £3-4 :nope:
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 07-07-2017 at 05:25 PM. Reason: removed pics
    .Me

thats a great help already, my thoughts were white grease which is low viscosity. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by 2e0poz View Post
    Hi guys

I'm in the middle of doing my first build which i will hopefully sort a build log out for as soon as i sort the digi camera out. It dawn on me whilst assembling the X axis what i should be using to lube the linear round bar slide bearings with? Grease or oil? I have these mounted on plain steel. whats your thoughts?

Paul
    I went through looking for the perfect grease which turned out to be some form of Shell Altium (or Altius) made for ballscrews and linear slides but then when it came to actually going out and finding it, I found it was mucho moolah, justifiable if you are running a CNC 24/7 but not for me. So I bought good old cheap lithium grease like Lee and spent the rest on a gooood time.

Seems to work fine. Be aware though it does introduce quite a bit of drag or "stiction" if you are Irving. Not too bad once the machine has warmed up but noticable when cold.

Jeff.
    Nothing is foolproof......to a sufficiently talented fool!

5. Quote Originally Posted by Smiler View Post
    ....Be aware though it does introduce quite a bit of drag or "stiction" if you are Irving. Not too bad once the machine has warmed up but noticable when cold.

Jeff.
    Hey, since when did I use that word?lol

Didnt get a chance today but will get a price tomoz. Anyone else need anything while im at it ?
    .Me

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roberts View Post
    Didnt get a chance today but will get a price tomoz. Anyone else need anything while im at it ?
    Well done bacon sarnie ?
    John S -

"Don't worry, about a thing cos every little thing is gonna be alright" to let me know about the grease.....LOL!!!:heehee:

Thread Information