Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
  1. #91
    Been working well, last week did a 5 hour run of parts :)

    Today i had one part and the blasted spindle cut out 4 times on me, luckily as i don't trust it i was close enough to e-stop each time and save my cutter.

    I can't see any loose wires and its the same vfd message each time :(

    Not sure what i can check really?

  2. #92
    Ok, pulled it apart and rewired the VFD relay into Mach3, if it faults now it will throw the Cycle-Stop button so at least that will save any more busted tooling.

    Not sure what the real cause of the drop-outs is but at least i can walk away from it now.

  3. #93
    So far so good - no faults since wiring changes :)

    Did have a probing error though - setting up for engraving plastic, 0.2mm 30deg 3mm tool in, tested the touch-plate as i always do, pressed the Z-Ref button, tool comes down and just keeps on going - pushed that little carbide bit through the pcb touch-plate, through 3mm of engraving plastic and a couple of mm into the machine bed :(

    By the time i had hit the e-stop, the stepper was stalling, no idea why, i rebooted and it was ok for the rest of the day.

    Scary stuff.
    Last edited by Davek0974; 30-08-2016 at 12:25 PM.

  4. #94
    Quote Originally Posted by Davek0974 View Post
    Did have a probing error though - setting up for engraving plastic, 0.2mm 30deg 3mm tool in, tested the touch-plate as i always do, pressed the Z-Ref button, tool comes down and just keeps on going - pushed that little carbide bit through the pcb touch-plate, through 3mm of engraving plastic and a couple of mm into the machine bed :(

    By the time i had hit the e-stop, the stepper was stalling, no idea why, i rebooted and it was ok for the rest of the day.

    Scary stuff.
    Dave, I had the same thing happen to my touch plate, it's got a 3.175mm hole punched through it, the 18mm MDf base and into the Ali bed....mine was because the earth wire had become unattached. Just goes to show how much power these things have, wouldn't want my fingers (or anything else) in the way of it! Needless to say I watch the procedure like a hawk now with one hand on the 'o'shit button...just in case!
    Neil...

    Build log...here

  5. #95
    Yep thats the stance i adopt now - one hand on the plate the other over the red button!

    This was on the little stepper machine, on the Bridgeport with its AC servo drive i think things would have been far worse as they just do not stop until things break.

  6. #96
    Did have a probing error though
    I have had a similar problem and not got to the bottom of it I am now thinking that you should put a crock clip on the tool to ground as you probe because you are relying on the bearings in the spindle. It just does it very occasionally.
    ..Clive

  7. #97
    Thats a possible reason there, thanks. It also could be a bit of crap under the tool maybe - this was a tiny tool with a 0.2mm tip so not a lot of contact area.

    It would mean carnage if it happened on the Bridgeport though, I am not using probing on the main spindle as have now sorted out fixed-height tooling etc, but when i have the engraving spindle fitted i will need to use it then as the spindle only has Er20 collet.

  8. #98
    I always touch the touchplate to the tool before doing the probing now, just to make sure!

    Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
    Neil...

    Build log...here

  9. #99
    Quote Originally Posted by njhussey View Post
    I always touch the touchplate to the tool before doing the probing now, just to make sure!

    Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
    Ah, but so do i - the LED lit up when i did the test but the routine still did not stop when i did the probe.

  10. #100
    Quote Originally Posted by Davek0974 View Post
    Ah, but so do i - the LED lit up when i did the test but the routine still did not stop when i did the probe.
    Bugger!!
    Neil...

    Build log...here

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. BUILD LOG: First time build - Steel Frame CNC Router
    By examorph in forum DIY Router Build Logs
    Replies: 143
    Last Post: 30-01-2017, 11:37 AM
  2. Well here goes... Aluminium frame router design
    By CharlieRam in forum Gantry/Router Machines & Building
    Replies: 165
    Last Post: 24-08-2016, 07:48 PM
  3. BUILD LOG: Steel frame cnc router design/build
    By CraftyGeek in forum DIY Router Build Logs
    Replies: 110
    Last Post: 06-05-2015, 09:00 PM
  4. WANTED: CNC Mill/Router for Cutting Aluminium
    By kylelnsn in forum Items Wanted
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-08-2012, 08:54 PM
  5. BUILD LOG: Aluminium Extrusion CNC Router Build
    By joshendy in forum DIY Router Build Logs
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-04-2012, 07:26 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •