Yes that would be an option, it would mean having bolt heads on the outside though, not a critical point though.
Will try a smaller bearing, 24mm dia instead of 26mm, should be enough.
How are the solution for the X-ballnut coming along? Kinda stuck on the same thing myself.
I have managed to use the standard ballnut mount blocks for all axes i hope, i just need to finish machining the spacer blocks for the y axis and do the fitting, hopefully be all axes connected this weekend :)
Stripped it all down today for final finish and fit, ran out of time to start the rebuild but hopefully tomorrow will get some picture update.
I was going to put the Y axis motor to the rear of the frame but it didn't play nicely and would cost me some Y traverse so I'll leave it at the front. The new idler bearings seem to have sorted the belt issues out, hopefully the motor adjustment slots will be enough to take up the slack without getting a shorter belt.
My plan is to mount the rails and screws square to the beams, its all pretty rigid and square when assembled so with a bit of luck it will all work out exactly as the drawings indicate.
Got some motion assembled today, final fitting takes a lot of time...
Next up is making the bracket for the X axis motor. Then i might remove the grease nipples on the lower X carriages as they are costing me 20mm of travel by hitting the side frames.
A little more fiddling here and there and we should be ok to start planning wiring runs etc.
I like how simple it looks, but I know how much careful planning/drawing it took to get there.
The Following User Says Thank You to sinnsvak For This Useful Post:
One thing for certain though is that it's as rigid as a rigid thing at a rigid party and it weighs a ton! All of which are good properties i think ;)
Confidence is high as they say.
Drawing it 100% in CAD has been a money and nerve-saver, I am happy i spent the time drawing it all up, It has needed a couple of shims to assemble it but the thickest one was only 0.30mm which i think is pretty damn good and totally attributable to the way i had to cut the beams (manual chop-saw). The rest of it, like the Z axis and X axis have been just a matter of machine-and-fit, pure pleasure ;)
Last edited by Davek0974; 06-03-2016 at 05:31 PM.
Ok I presumed friendship ;)
Certainly tough-nut though ;)
BUILD LOG: First time build - Steel Frame CNC RouterBy examorph in forum DIY Router Build LogsReplies: 140Last Post: 10-11-2016, 11:16 PM
By CharlieRam in forum Gantry/Router Machines & BuildingReplies: 165Last Post: 24-08-2016, 08:48 PM
BUILD LOG: Steel frame cnc router design/buildBy CraftyGeek in forum DIY Router Build LogsReplies: 110Last Post: 06-05-2015, 10:00 PM
By kylelnsn in forum Items WantedReplies: 5Last Post: 09-08-2012, 09:54 PM
BUILD LOG: Aluminium Extrusion CNC Router BuildBy joshendy in forum DIY Router Build LogsReplies: 9Last Post: 10-04-2012, 08:26 PM