. .
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Had a reply from CNC4YOU, they have tested all their stock of the SMPS i have and found 1 that has the same issue - at least I am not going mad.

They are sending out a replacement unit, 24v this time.

I have also borrowed enough bits to cobble together a 36v linear supply, if the new SMPS fails to sort the issue, I have that option ready to try.

Also ordered parts to make a full-power linear supply.

The radio interference is a false lead i think - i borrowed a FM/DAB portable last night and the signal is so weak in the shop that DAB was 100% dead and FM only just worked on Radio2 (which is all i use really, never bothered trying other stations so did not notice the massive lack of signal) So it may possibly be just caused by a very weak reception area. I'm ignoring this issue for now.
    Last edited by Davek0974; 14-03-2016 at 03:26 PM.

Well, I'm officially baffled but very happy!

Changing the BOB PSU has completely fixed the issue, I have now got sensible homing routine, all limits working and the homing accuracy is now better than 0.1mm, more like 0.00 to -0.06mm variation over 25 homing calls.

Happy days :)

Now, the question is,,,,

Having bought all the parts to make a linear PSU, is it worth fitting it or should I leave it as-is??

Quote Originally Posted by Davek0974 View Post
    Now, the question is,,,,

Having bought all the parts to make a linear PSU, is it worth fitting it or should I leave it as-is??
    If it aint broke don't mess. Just keep it on stand by.!

Out of interest have you tried this on Plasma to see if it stops that.?

No, i'm not tempting fate, don't want to risk upsetting her ;)

Things are progressing...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1266.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	914.9 KB 
ID:	17959

Leaving it on the little bench i made to build it, fits well and the electrics will fit underneath nicely.

Since the picture was taken I have fully wired the panel and tested the safety circuit etc, this is now in the cabinet and waiting connection. The VFD is mounted behind the cabinet so i can see it from under the table, this keeps it safe from flying chips etc and away from the drive electronics.

I have the E-stop circuit controlling the VFD and cooling pump supplies, it also has a connection to the BOB to tell Mach3 that it's in E-Stop, this circuit also functions as a No-Volt-Release system to stop the spindle restarting after a power loss.

The pump supply and misting system solenoid is controlled from a relay board driven by the VFD internal relay so they come on and off as the VFD does, the misting supply also has a front panel switch so i can leave it off when cutting wood etc.

Tomorrow will be wiring, testing and making the bed and fitting it hopefully.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Davek0974 For This Useful Post:

Well, she survived the rewire and panel fitting, also got the VFD fitted and spindle running under 0-10v and stop/start from the BOB. Surprised how quiet the motor is.

Installed the new screen-set (2010) and got that going, looks nice. Tweaked the homing speed and at 15% the homing accuracy is now +0 to -0.02mm which is far better and will leave it there for now.

Questions ---

Touch plate -
    to make this work i need to connect the probe input to ground via my tool, I presume it is OK to connect the BOB 0v line to machine chassis in order to make this work with only one probe wire??

Spinde Stop -
    Do we use coast-to-stop or ramp-to-stop??

Spindle acceleration -
    What sort of spin-up setting is good in the VFD?
    I presume this also goes in Mach3 Spindle delays?

Got to finish my bed plate now...

Thats enough for one day ;)

Got the main bed plate on, aluminium top-bed needs to be drilled and tapped for hold-downs etc, thats tomorrows job.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1268.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	17967

Coming along :)

Coming along nice Dave.

Touch plate -
    to make this work i need to connect the probe input to ground via my tool, I presume it is OK to connect the BOB 0v line to machine chassis in order to make this work with only one probe wire??
    Yes can do it that way thou need to be careful and check the probe by touching tool every time just in case tool doesn't conduct very well ie: coated etc.
    IT's good habbit to get into.

Spinde Stop -
    Do we use coast-to-stop or ramp-to-stop??
    Little bit of DC braking won't hurt but not too much else trip VFD with large tools.

Spindle acceleration -
    What sort of spin-up setting is good in the VFD?
    I presume this also goes in Mach3 Spindle delays?
    I have mine set to 2 or 3 secs and spindle delay set to 2. Again if spindle startup too fast you'll get vfd throwing up error codes.
    Mach delay needs to be about the same delay.

Thanks Jazz,

Will set those tomorrow.

I might have to re-visit my linear rail parallel setting - something appears to have moved slightly during build as the top-right corner of my bed seems about 0.3mm high compared to the other three which are relatively true. As you can see in the pic, I have mounted a DTI on my spindle clamp and was measuring the bed while jogging around.

Its a bit of a pain as it means almost full strip-down, not sure i can shim the bed that much to get it happy, will have another look tomorrow.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information