. .
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tempting......Just wish Leeds was a bit closer:cry:
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

Hi Guys

Sorry its been so long with an update but things have all gone manic at work taking over my life. But in the mean time i have come on leaps and bounds. i got to a point where so much frustration set in to get completed i bought myself mill to complete some of the jobs (a Bridgeport). I have learned a lot on my journey so far to the point where last night i was cutting some lovely thin air at last. I will post some pics of the machine in motion shortly.

Nice to see so many others are doing well too

do you have a link for your linear bearing supplier. i am in the process of trying to get some ideas together but the cost of bearings is ridiculous.
    propper lead screws are quite expensive too. where did you get yours?
    btw, your build looks good. only hope mine looks that good when im done!

Hi Wires

i ordered my bearings from China on fleabay and as the lead screws i used TR12x3 from a local supplier who had old stock. As a choice again i would have gone for proper bearing lead screw but as you probably have seen its expensive which is why i went for the ACME stuff. pay attention to bearing supports in your build if you go for this stuff as it is really needed. Dont go for the big end bearings that used either, simple skate bearings and the rod turned down to suite is much better and cheaper. hope this helps:whistling:

it seems to me that linear stuff and lead screws are almost the first thing you need to decide on, which usually means you see what you can get and then design a machine to suit. i will have a look around a see whats available in my budget.
    thanks for the info.

Wires why don't you start a build log starting with what your intension's are and whatyou need to achieve and i am sure people will give their input. There is a lot of very helpful people on here and i am sure you will achieve what you need to do. Check out IGUS at their slides, well worth a punt?

Ok thought i better get back to this log by closing it..Its not that i have given but seen the light. I did do a video of the last one cutting on her in doors camera. Was not until i tried to upload it and realised it was 176mb!.

Now the good news

I will be starting a new log of mark III - yes i built another desktop version in between. This new one will be bigger and better and now armed with much learning under my belt i feel this one will be much improved and a lot more use.

Thanks too all that have helped me on my journey.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information