. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I hear what you are saying. My old pc is dieing, so I need to use my newer one which does not have a pp. So the need for the smoothstepper card. The tb6560 card is just a pain to set up, and I wish to upgrade to mach4 sometime and would like a card more suited to mach.i hate cheap unknown quality chinese stuff as there is know redress and it takes ages to sort any faults.this is why I am asking what make of a good middle of the road bob is available in the uk.

Quote Originally Posted by terry1956 View Post
    I hear what you are saying. My old pc is dieing, so I need to use my newer one which does not have a pp. So the need for the smoothstepper card. The tb6560 card is just a pain to set up, and I wish to upgrade to mach4 sometime and would like a card more suited to mach.i hate cheap unknown quality chinese stuff as there is know redress and it takes ages to sort any faults.this is why I am asking what make of a good middle of the road bob is available in the uk.
    Ok but if you use the TB with the ESS you don't need a BOB. The ESS only replaces the PP. That said it would be like having 12cyclinder Ferrari and only running on 4 cycl connecting TB to ESS.!!

If you replace the TB then you need BOB and 3 Drives. Plus the ESS.

Chinese are ok provided you buy branded name like Leadshine. I've bought 100's leadshine drives and rarely have any faults.

Regards Mach4 then don't buy it yet it's still a little buggy and the Hardware manufacturers are still sorting there Plug's out so many are Beta versions.
    That said Smooth stepper as been out for 10yrs and it's still in beat version but that's more to do with Warp9 being rubbish at updates.!

so let me get this right. options are dump tb6560 and I need 3 motor drivers and a break out board to run with the smoothstepper. or keep ht tb6560 and run it with the smoothstepper. is there not just a better replacement for the tb6560 board. its odd that the cost of replacing the tb6560 which is a 10 pound item then runs into the hundreds.

That is correct. There are all in one solutions like the G540 gecko drive that does the same thing as the TB6560 but the price is $250ish so buying individual drives works out cheaper. Hence I suggested you keep the TB for the time being. The TB's are cheap and manufactured as such and they will have their issues but for the price there is nothing else unless you go with drivers like the ones that 3D printers use and cost £5-£10 a pop. They do however go pop very often too.

From what I understand you have made your mind up on moving away from the parallel port. So the next step is to identify what you budget after the purchase of a motion controller is.
    https://emvioeng.com
    Machine tools and 3D printing supplies. Expanding constantly.

Hi, I dont mind spending a few hundred more to get the system sorted.but not much more.

Quote Originally Posted by terry1956 View Post
    Hi, I dont mind spending a few hundred more to get the system sorted.but not much more.
    If you want to remove the parallel port and TB then you won't do this for less than £200. The ESS alone is nearly that much. By now you may realise all the ESS does is replace the parallel port. This is why I said keep the PP and buy better quality drives.

Honestly New Digital drives run thru a BOB and with a little more Voltage will transform your machine. Then at later date buy the ESS if you like. £200 will get you 3 Leadshine DM556 Digital drives new 42V PSU and BOB.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information