. .
    Hi all,

I'm starting a new design and build of a small router and looking for some feedback/advice. It's mainly a learning project for bigger and better things, as such the budget is very limited. First of all, whats the thoughts on the design, the bed is approx 750mm x 450mm?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CNC8.JPG 
Views:	285 
Size:	660.8 KB 
ID:	17668

Thanks,
    Tom

Hi Tom,

What do you want to cut with it? I'm hoping soft materials like expanded polystyrene or carving foam (based on the high Z)?

Whilst it's great to welcome someone else to the CNC club as it is a great hobby, the design is fairly weak and would vibrate a lot with anything tougher like wood.

Unsupported rails, high gantry sides, very thin Z axis rails, very long reach Z axis all contribute to the low stiffness. Is the base actually transparent (plastic) or is that the render? I think unless this is for very light duty I would not go down this route. Have a look at the build logs on this forum for more substantial machines.
    Last edited by routercnc; 21-02-2016 at 09:19 PM.
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Quote Originally Posted by routercnc View Post
    Hi Tom,

What do you want to cut with it? I'm hoping soft materials like expanded polystyrene or carving foam (based on the high Z)?

Whilst it's great to welcome someone else to the CNC club as it is a great hobby, the design is fairly weak and would vibrate a lot with anything tougher like wood.

Unsupported rails, high gantry sides, very thin Z axis rails, very long reach Z axis all contribute to the low stiffness. Is the base actually transparent (plastic) or is that the render? I think unless this is for very light duty I would not go down this route. Have a look at the build logs on this forum for more substantial machines.
    Listen to the Man everything he very tactfully said is correct.!

Appreciated guys! I'll research for a while and come back with a new and improved rev2! Watch this space...

Quote Originally Posted by Plantationpark View Post
    Appreciated guys! I'll research for a while and come back with a new and improved rev2! Watch this space...

Hi,
    It would help to know what you plan to cut, especially in terms of the hardest material and the height you will want the Z to go. Remember that the higher you go with the Z the more extension you will need cutting materials near the bed, so the gantry will flex more.

Best of luck.

Rob

Thread Information