. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    You need an adhesive that glues all to all, that looks like silicone. Or you could use strong 3m double sided tape. The good tape sticks so well to any material that no way you could un glue it
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

The material is PVC. I've tried some general purpose solvent free glue and it is poor. Or do you mean I should try silicone adhesive?

Quote Originally Posted by Tenson View Post
    The material is PVC. I've tried some general purpose solvent free glue and it is poor. Or do you mean I should try silicone adhesive?
    Its not exactly silicone, just looks like silicone. Do you know the glue that glues all to all and is weather resistant and flexible. They sell it here in Spain in every big shop. In a plastic bottle like silicone. Its for automotive use. I am just now going to the shop where they sell glues, so will post a picture later. Its called Ceys Total tech I used the one on the left , i think that the only difference is that its transparent

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ceys.PNG 
Views:	187 
Size:	191.6 KB 
ID:	17719

We don't have that in the UK. It looks like 'PinkGrip' but maybe it's differnt? http://www.everbuild.co.uk/pinkgrip/pinkgrip-1

I wonder what the technical name of this adhesive is?

Quote Originally Posted by Tenson View Post
    We don't have that in the UK. It looks like 'PinkGrip' but maybe it's differnt? http://www.everbuild.co.uk/pinkgrip/pinkgrip-1

I wonder what the technical name of this adhesive is?
    No, what i am saying is maybe some kind of polyurethane or silicone, what you say is polyester type glue, similar to what they use to fit doors and windows at houses, very easy to spot, look at sheet and when you see that " Do not use on polystyrene/Styrofoam/expanded polyurethane "

While searching for other glue, i found this one, that seems it will definetely do the job:
    PU18 Black Flexible Polyurethane Adhesive

Hi, I came across this thread, I'm in the process of setting up a vacuum press of my own. I've been struggling also with the difficultly of finding equivalents to the components on the joewoodworker website in the UK. I think I've found most of the equivalent stuff for the EVS pump and now I'm trying to sort out the bags.

I've been digging around and I think the adhesive required to bond up the bags may be A3701 Plasticised PVC contact adhesive.

Hi Tenson, I think that pond liner (butyl) or inflatable boat repair material (hypalon etc.) would work very well and good adhesives are readily available for those materials. G.

I had good success with my vac bag.

I used this PVC - eBay item number: 252175735357

I then tested various glues including PVC pipe cement and opted to use cyanoacrylate (superglue). I used medium viscosity 'BontIt' from here - eBay item number:140938448838

I found the superglue tacked within a few seconds of contact which made assembly of the seams reasonably easy. If you fold the PVC over to make a seam it wants to spring back, so fast initial bond is helpful. After an hour of setting it is very strong indeed, but remains flexible enough to fold the bag for storage.

Regarding the seams, I cut the main bag piece and folded it in half. I then put a line of glue down the left and right sides to join the edges and kept one end open as the mouth of the bag. Make sure you start glueing from the closed / folded-over end of the bag and work your way towards the open end. Follow this I then cut two long strips of PVC and folded them over the left and right edges of the bag with more glue to give greater strength. Make sure these pieces overlap the closed end of the bag because I left a tiny bit exposed and it wanted to leak air at the corner of the main bag fold.

For vacuum tube entry I use a male 'pneumatic / air line' push fitting for 10mm tubing (eBay item: 271290823788). To attach it in the bag I cut 2x pieces of 5mm acrylic in a disc shape with a hole in the middle. I threaded the air-line fitting into one and bonded it inside the bag, with the air-line fitting sticking out through a hole. Then I placed the other acrylic disc (with a slight bigger central hole) over the top to sandwich with the bag material. Basically the two discs hold the bag material between them and I threaded the push fitting into the bottom disc.

I also put a one way / non-return valve (eBay item: 121665943577) in the air line so I can disconnect from the vacuum pump without loss of vacuum.

To close the mouth of the bag I simply fold it over twice and clamp it between two strips of wood using g-clamps.

Last edited by Tenson; 02-04-2016 at 11:11 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information