. .
Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    This works the same with say 22x15 aggregate but they grade it down using smaller and smaller aggregate down to ash.
    I am looking at building a concrete mill with Dean's help using this method. We shall see.
    its good for heavy work like milling in steel where damping vibration is important. Technically should be easier to build, considering your planes are smooth, even, leveled, squared etc.
    All mounting surfaced for rails, bearings etc can be prepared - machined and than fix to the mold by precise adjustment before mix is filled in. That is how I would do and will in one day.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 15 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    All mounting surfaced for rails, bearings etc can be prepared - machined and than fix to the mold by precise adjustment before mix is filled in. That is how I would do and will in one day.
    Done on one of these Click image for larger version. 

Name:	table.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	775.3 KB 
ID:	20106
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

I can't believe I just found this thread ! About four or five weeks ago a friend of mine sent me a link to a machine that he was considering, very similar to the machine you are building ! The only thing that concerned him was the fact that it would be coming from foreign shores, (vat, customs charges, shipping etc) I must point him towards this thread and see what he makes of it. Anyway, here is the machine he was considering, as you will see, the similarities are there

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CNC-Millin...p2056016.l4276

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by needleworks View Post
    I can't believe I just found this thread ! About four or five weeks ago a friend of mine sent me a link to a machine that he was considering, very similar to the machine you are building ! The only thing that concerned him was the fact that it would be coming from foreign shores, (vat, customs charges, shipping etc) I must point him towards this thread and see what he makes of it. Anyway, here is the machine he was considering, as you will see, the similarities are there

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CNC-Millin...p2056016.l4276
    Ive seen those machines. Looks 'nice'. Similar idea, certainly, nothing really new with a fixed gantry idea.

That machine is ex Austria so no import tax etc. It's a fair bit smaller / lighter than my machine. Probably worth a look at that price (compared to say the Chinese imports).

Here's a vid of it cutting - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSO0BlGFaqA . The one on sale only as a 2.2KW spindle, the one in the video is almost 4KW.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Done on one of these Click image for larger version. 

Name:	table.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	775.3 KB 
ID:	20106
    I have cast iron one 275kg. This help me a lot with my weldingClick image for larger version. 

Name:	My welding table.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	102.9 KB 
ID:	20114

These lovely welding benches :)

How do you keep spatter off of them?

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 15 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Dave the one I linked to is 150mm granite so the splatter does not stick
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    I need to finalise the location of the gantry. From what I can see, the 'best' location for the spindle centre line is the middle of the machine. Keep in mind that once the gantry is fixed, its fixed.

Any reason I would not have it in the middle of the machine? The table pretty much moves the full distance of the table, except around 30mm to the rear which is where the ballscrew bearing holder is.

I could play around with table sizes, considering having a tool rack if I go with BT30 and like the Datron machines (but they are moving gantry) have tools mounted on the rear of the table for the ATC. Most of the machine images I can see online seem to feature the spindle generally in the centre of the table length.

Bring table to front of machine then spindle line is on or just past the inside edge of table. Allow for largest tool diameter if want to get maximum cut out of it and have travel for it.!

To be honest Chaz your wide open to world of pain if you haven't at least drawn this out on paper. Just basic Cad model will highlight any potential clashes. So many Gotcha's waiting to bite I wouldn't dream of building without basic model. Will save you time and money in long run because often these Gotcha's bite after it's too late or major hassle to change.!!
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 29-12-2016 at 01:56 PM.

Second what JazzCNC said, even a dimensioned 'fag-packet" sketch will highlight important bits that (and have) goofed up a machine build ;)

Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread Information