. .
Page 34 of 50 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast
    Ye, ive been unlucky. Ive got 2 machines with native RS 232 ports as well as a USB one and PCI Express one. I cant get any of the 4 to work.

I need to do it again, but busy finishing Thor. If all goes to plan it might do some basic movement this weekend on all 3 axis.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    I've got a cheap USB adapter, and have never had any problems. I did have to destroy the case to get it to directly fit onto the drives though.

Are you using the correct type of cable?
    You'll need to check if it should be a straight through cable, or crossover cable (I would guess it should be a crossover for serial comms). Probably best to test the one you've already got, and then order the opposite.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    I've got a cheap USB adapter, and have never had any problems. I did have to destroy the case to get it to directly fit onto the drives though.

Are you using the correct type of cable?
    You'll need to check if it should be a straight through cable, or crossover cable (I would guess it should be a crossover for serial comms). Probably best to test the one you've already got, and then order the opposite.
    I had tried a cable and had cut / moved the wires manually. I should just order one of each and test again.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    I had tried a cable and had cut / moved the wires manually. I should just order one of each and test again.
    Chaz do you have the cable diagram for it. RS232 receive & transmit are on pins 2 & 3 sometimes they have to be reversed. Ground (if I remember) is on pin 7 on a DB25 plug and pin 5 on a DB9 plug
    Last edited by Clive S; 15-06-2017 at 08:18 AM.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Chaz do you have the cable diagram for it. RS232 receive & transmit are on pins 2 & 3 sometimes they have to be reversed. Ground (if I remember) is on pin 7 on a DB25 plug and pin 5 on a DB9 plug
    So what I've done is order a new F / M straight cable. The Kinco drive manual shows as default 2-2 3-3 and 7-7 wiring. Will try that first. Struggling to find (on Amazon) and null modem M / F cable in case.

Problem Ive had is that on my Panasonic drives that use Serial / proprietary, Ive also struggled to get it working.

I have a stack of about half a dozen HP DC7600 small form factor PC's that will shortly be going to the tip - you are welcome to all or any if you wish FOC. They have RS232 ports and multiple USB's - all have had their hard disks removed for security reasons - they are ex-corporate machines.

(the clear out continues !)

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewMawson View Post
    I have a stack of about half a dozen HP DC7600 small form factor PC's that will shortly be going to the tip - you are welcome to all or any if you wish FOC. They have RS232 ports and multiple USB's - all have had their hard disks removed for security reasons - they are ex-corporate machines.

(the clear out continues !)
    Please. I wouldnt find 2 for using as basic PCs / Mach 3 / Serial device machines. Ill make a plan to collect from you or similar.

sweet jebus Chaz, don't do things by halves do you!

great work, look forward to seeing this thing in action

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeflyboy View Post
    sweet jebus Chaz, don't do things by halves do you!

great work, look forward to seeing this thing in action
    Thanks, nothing like your workmanship however. Perhaps Thor can build some pretty parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    you just need to have an RS232 connection to use the servo software, without Rs232, you will need to get a USB to RS232 adaptor.
    I have never used the interface on the driver to do any tuning, because it is so much easier using the software.
    Tuning with no load is not right and may cause the controller tuning to fail, or make the axis very spongy, so make sure you have the mass of the table there while tuning.
    Also make sure you save it after, or you will delete the tuning, once you cycle the power.
    Hi Gary, would a USB to RS232 interface not suffer the same issues as standard USB when it comes to timing's? Or is there something I am missing here.

I also wonder if Linux is more reliable than windows (Especially when using USB) especially a Linuxcnc Live cd? I have no idea if you can get Mach 3 for Linux.

Chaz I'll be interested to see if it was a crossed cable causing your issues, fingers crossed for your weekend movements ;)
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

If you didn't buy it from China the company you bought it from did ;)

Page 34 of 50 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread Information