. .
Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    It will be until it completely dries out.
    Far simpler option is to put some anti-freeze (or summer coolant) in, as it has corrosion inhibitors in, and will improve the cooling performance over plain water.
    Exactly what i am doing. Running it on the most expensive antifreeze and distilled water. The pink one. But after 2 years maybe from the heat here in Spain, even in the antifreeze tank something develops, like a veil or to say like a jelly . So then it has to be changed or just cleaned. I highly recommend the antifreeze to be in a transparent tank so you could see if that happens to you.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

If I was using a water cooled spindle I would be thinking about fitting one of these; https://www.fernox.com/filters/tf1-compact-filter or similar, they collect all the crap and have a very strong magnet.
    Do addatives for central heating work for spindle cooling systems ?
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    If I was using a water cooled spindle I would be thinking about fitting one of these; https://www.fernox.com/filters/tf1-compact-filter or similar, they collect all the crap and have a very strong magnet.
    When we replaced our boiler a few years ago we fitted one of those and it works a treat. Traps the black (iron oxide?) which comes off the inside of the steel radiator panels and keeps the boiler matrix clear
    But spindle is chrome steel I think and pipe and pump blades are plastic so not sure it Fernox filter would work? The stuff that blocks my spindle is more like salt deposit which I guess comes from the liquid itself. I'm using fancy bottled PC water cooling liquid but may switch to buying distilled water and adding some antifreeze.
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 16 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    I have fitted many of these type and are great in central heating system to collect the iron deposits , I am not so sure they will work with the spindle. I use this stuff http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/ca...KidhoCSLzw_wcB and a bit of antifreeze and never had any trouble.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

My spindle rusting from the inside out doesn't sound good :(

Why they didn't add £30 to spindle cost and use a stainless steel tank you have to wonder at least the option would be nice.

I have a Reverse Osmosis filter which essentially produces the same as distilled water so I will use this for my system with some blue antifreeze as I have a 200l barrel at work lol.
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

If you didn't buy it from China the company you bought it from did ;)

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Has anyone tried one of these, looking for an attachment that I can use to grind on Thor.

http://www.hemingwaykits.com/acatalo...g_Spindle.html

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Has anyone tried one of these, looking for an attachment that I can use to grind on Thor.

That dust will sand the rails and ball screw if everything is not airtight. Just the thought of it will make any machinist shudder . I guess i am becoming a machinist
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post

Chaz - that looks suspiciously like a ready-built grinding spindle for the Quorn tool and cutter grinder. This was a design from 1974, sold as a kit of castings and hard-to-get materials. Quite a lot of kits have been sold, and some of them actually built! From that point of view, it's a tried and tested design with nothing exotic about it. The original used labyrinth seals (a series of fine grooves) rather than the lip seals in the advert but maybe materials have improved in the last 40 years By all accounts, they work very well for fine grinding and people use them as toolpost grinders in lathes. Light duty, though - not for heavy-duty work. Plenty of references to the Quorn via Google. I have a set of castings under the bench that have been maturing for the last 30 years or so - come back in 10 years and I'll tell you how it works from personal experience...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Neale For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Boyan Silyavski View Post
    That dust will sand the rails and ball screw if everything is not airtight. Just the thought of it will make any machinist shudder . I guess i am becoming a machinist
    Yep, never get any grinding dust near a machine with slides, ways or screws, unless its a machine built for grinding - instant death of many a lathe.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Davek0974 For This Useful Post:

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Ill post some updated pics of Thor this weekend as I complete the new table and a few bits.

I have also bought a lathe (another thread) that I was going to convert into CNC or build a new one. I then started to think of a 4th axis for Thor which I could use the same headstock for. Perhaps not good as as dividing head however this then opened up a bit of a Eureka moment this morning in the shower (one of the many places for inspirational thinking).

Here's my thoughts.

Take the headstock, mount on Thor's table. Find a way to fit a motor and spin the headstock at lathe type speeds.

Create a new Mach 3 profile, I assume that that I can now assign different axis to different channels, using the CS Labs plugin. This means that my current X can become my new Z (for lathe use). I can then either use the current Z or Y to do the lathe X. This will depend on where / how I can mount lathe tools.

For the lathe tooling, this needs to be mounted on the current spindle mount plate. I can move the current spindle and aim to have more than one 'device' hanging off the main Z plate. From this - I can either try and direct mount some tools however the best approach is likely to mount a turret of sorts. This will allow tools that profile and face to be used, as well as anything that needs to drill or bore.

Any reason this might not work or is an obvious bad idea?

Thanks
    Last edited by Chaz; 20-07-2017 at 10:37 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Chaz For This Useful Post:

Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast

Thread Information