On the whole it's the current being switched that matters rather than the voltage itself. A friend who worked on older systems that used extensive mechanical switching reckoned that increasing switch current to something around 10mA improved contact reliability. Sticking in pull-up/down (depending on how you arrange the switching) resistors of around 2K2 for a 24V system would be about right.

However, consider the failure modes. For limit switches, we are forcing contacts apart. It is very unlikely that contacts will get welded together to the point that they will not separate although it's possible that contact corrosion will stop them "making". This is at least a safe failure mode. I have no idea what the likely failure modes of proximity switches are, but I suspect that they give more repeatable homing positions. This is all pointing at mechanical limit switches and proximity homing switches - which has already been suggested.

On my own machine I have gone proximity switch all round, but I'm only using Nema 23 3Nm steppers which will probably stall before doing major damage.