. .
Page 20 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
    Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyan Silyavski View Post
    You mean 4kw direct drive spindles? Or belt driven BT and similar by 4kw motor?

Cause if first i dont see a reason why not to go with 4kw water cooled spindle. less than 400$ now that you have the drive. Bearings are cheap to change one day. What would bring the more expensive ones to the table that the Chinese one can not do??? for 1/5th or 1/10th the money?

But if i was to make it BT30 driven i dont see any option save servo driven. Why to put so much money and effort and not be able to do rigid tapping and similar??
    Yep, at the moment the likelyhood will be either -

Just use a Chinese Spindle, I have the VFD already.

Get a BT30 Spindle, belt driven and use the same Chinese spindle to power it. This allows me some gearing options too.

Use the same BT30 Spindle and go AC Servo. Anything over 1.5KW needs to be 3 Phase and is fairly expensive. £1500 probably for a 4KW AC Servo and Drive.

Might have to look at belt specifications to see if and how is possible. It must be HTD obviously as its made especially for that purpose.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyan Silyavski View Post
    Might have to look at belt specifications to see if and how is possible. It must be HTD obviously as its made especially for that purpose.
    Yep. Loads of options at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Anyways, Jazz, I did send you an email a few days ago about AC Servo setup in case you had time to look at it please?
    Sorry Chaz you'd been dumped into Spam box and I've been really busy so not checked lately. When get chance later in week I'll reply.

One other thing not mentioned or consdiered is weight.?

The combined weight of Spindle cartridge, motor and all that concrete will most likely require some form of counter balance. Servo alone unless large KW won't be enough I think.

My big mill has got Int40 (Same as taper BT40 with slightly different holder) spindle with 5.5Kw Inverter Motor which spins at 7500rpm and the motor alone is too heavy for one man to safely handle. The pulley alone (which uses 2 x multi V belts not HTD.!!) must weigh same as 2.2Kw spindle.

Recently I removed the head unit from column and reckon it must weigh 500kg. There is 10" sqr 3ft long Solid steel block runs down the centre of column that counter balances it. The whole thing can be lifted up/down turning the ballscrew by hand.!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spindle.jpg 
Views:	333 
Size:	312.2 KB 
ID:	20325

Thats a beast JAZZ, what sort of size rail does the head/bed run on??

Quote Originally Posted by Davek0974 View Post
    Thats a beast JAZZ, what sort of size rail does the head/bed run on??
    Certainly is That's the Full beast before took it from my friends place, just need to get it finished it's in lots of heavy pieces at minute. Been going to update thread I started so watch out you'll see it in pieces.!! . . . . Built like tank and weighs about same.!

The head and carriage run on 3" chromed box ways the bed runs on chromed Dove tails all fitted with piped lube system handled by controller so constant lube while moving.!! . . . Floats like butterfly stings like Bee-astard if get in it's way. . .Lol

1.8Kw Ac Servo's connected to 32mm 5m pitch C3 Ground ballscrews with 2:1 ratio with 5.5Kw Spindle spinning 6" face mill in back gear and don't stop for anything, be that clamps , vices, people or walls.!!! . . . . Scary Can't wait to get it chomping properly.

Name:	IMAG0536.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	203.6 KB 
ID:	20326

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Sorry Chaz you'd been dumped into Spam box and I've been really busy so not checked lately. When get chance later in week I'll reply.
    Thanking you.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    One other thing not mentioned or consdiered is weight.?

The combined weight of Spindle cartridge, motor and all that concrete will most likely require some form of counter balance. Servo alone unless large KW won't be enough I think.

My big mill has got Int40 (Same as taper BT40 with slightly different holder) spindle with 5.5Kw Inverter Motor which spins at 7500rpm and the motor alone is too heavy for one man to safely handle. The pulley alone (which uses 2 x multi V belts not HTD.!!) must weigh same as 2.2Kw spindle.

Recently I removed the head unit from column and reckon it must weigh 500kg. There is 10" sqr 3ft long Solid steel block runs down the centre of column that counter balances it. The whole thing can be lifted up/down turning the ballscrew by hand.!!

Name:	spindle.jpg 
Views:	333 
Size:	312.2 KB 
ID:	20325
    Yep, this is a valid concern. This is probably another reason why I will be a bit limited. That said, I could look at doing something to counterbalance - just adds some cost / time to the project.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Yep, this is a valid concern. This is probably another reason why I will be a bit limited. That said, I could look at doing something to counterbalance - just adds some cost / time to the project.
    Time and cost yes, but your head is going to be pretty heavy so i reckon it will be best building in some sort of counterbalance now, could be hard to add later. This is likely why bigger machines have a fixed head/column and moving X/Y bed - you cant slam the head around if there is half a ton of counterweight hanging off it ;)
    Last edited by Davek0974; 11-01-2017 at 03:48 PM.

Page 20 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread Information