. .
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Guys, what grade of steel should I look at for components that will be machined and used for the Z plates etc? My German friend providing the parts does not know the UK equivalent but in Germany its called 'Automation Steel' Supposedly its easy to machine and works well for this.

I assume its something like 4140 but I'm not sure.

This will be for machining the bearing holders and any plates for the Axis as well as any ribbing that might be used to reinforce the structure.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Steel? Mild cold rolled steel plate or plain hot rolled iron plate. Using carbon steel is nonsense, except if you want to ring lie a bell later.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

More interesting is the table/bed. Are you going to make it or buy it? You might start a permanent search on ebay and see what it trawls up while you are figuring the rest out. The bed from a toolroom mill could be neat.
    How about suds, you must have suds to get the heat out of the tool tip, lube it when cutting steel, block the oxide build up when cutting aluminium, stop the melt when cutting perspex and generally wash the cuttings away before they get dragged back in between tool and work piece.

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hewitt View Post
    More interesting is the table/bed. Are you going to make it or buy it? You might start a permanent search on ebay and see what it trawls up while you are figuring the rest out. The bed from a toolroom mill could be neat.
    How about suds, you must have suds to get the heat out of the tool tip, lube it when cutting steel, block the oxide build up when cutting aluminium, stop the melt when cutting perspex and generally wash the cuttings away before they get dragged back in between tool and work piece.
    I am looking on ebay regularly but I may try and machine something from cast iron.

In terms of cooling, different options, will look at a misting type setup and potentially higher pressure flood coolant.

From what I've been reading on coolant, the 'FogBuster' style of air blast and minimal coolant/lubricant is the way forward. Seems to work well on the youtube videos, very easy to make as well.

I'm collecting the parts for one only mini-mill.

Quote Originally Posted by Davek0974 View Post
    From what I've been reading on coolant, the 'FogBuster' style of air blast and minimal coolant/lubricant is the way forward.
    Some things are popular because when the machine is finished desperate work rounds are required for all the things that were never thought of, put of for another day or simply forgotten in the excitement of near completion.
    This may or may not be one of those things.
    I always want a good flow of suds. I like a variable speed pump so I can adjust the flow. You can filter most of the guck out but some will get through making flow control with a tap tricky.
    Suds requires side curtains to catch the spray and two nozzles are better than one because clamps, fittings and stuff can so easily get in the way. I return suds to the tank using Koi carp filtration bags. A good long nozzle on the air duster keeps the pipework clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Davek0974 View Post
    From what I've been reading on coolant, the 'FogBuster' style of air blast and minimal coolant/lubricant is the way forward. Seems to work well on the youtube videos, very easy to make as well.
    Only if you want to breath that shit in all day
    John S -

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    Only if you want to breath that shit in all day
    That was my main concern as well, but the fog buster style units are more of a air-blast with a splattering of fluid - no mist or fog (hence the name) looking at them work they do seem to function well, at least on aluminium which is my main target.

I was going for flood (love the smell of suds) but it gets messy, you have, grows germs if not maintained, and i'm still not convinced a mini-mill needs that much when so many seem very happy with air-blast and the odd drip of lube.

I think my build will cater for all options so i'm still open to changes.

There are also people standing over their machines with a can of WD40 who swear it is the greatest thing since sliced bread

Yes, one of them is me :)

I've used three cans so far making the parts on my bridgeport, works perfectly and easy to apply on manual mill.

I have also seen systems filled WD or paraffin on aluminium.

Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information