. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by cropwell View Post
    Thanks Clive, but I was hoping to find out why I could not do it,
    Because it's a REGION.
    Explode the REGION, and use PEDIT to Join the lines into a single polyline.

Always save as V12 .dxf, for best compatibility.
    Gerry

Mach3 2010 Screenset

JointCAM - CAM for Woodworking Joints

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ger21 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ger21 View Post
    Because it's a REGION.
    Explode the REGION, and use PEDIT to Join the lines into a single polyline.

Always save as V12 .dxf, for best compatibility.
    Thanks Ger, I have sorted it now. I must admit to my ignorance in using AutoCAD. I need a good tutorial and the timeand brain energy to go through it.

I am using AutoCAD from the '90's R14, so saving as anything other than a .dwg is not an option, and V12 is not in the export options list.

BUT I did what you said (I suspected it was the REGION problem) and it worked after a couple of fumbling attempts.

Cheers,

Rob

I haven't used R14 since around 1999, but it should certainly save as R12 .dxf. Even current version still do.
    Try using File >Save As, and click on the drop down list for file type. R12 should be the last one?
    Gerry

Mach3 2010 Screenset

I haven't used R14 since around 1999, but it should certainly save as R12 .dxf. Even current version still do.
    Try using File >Save As, and click on the drop down list for file type. R12 should be the last one?
    Sorry Gerry, but 'Save As' only give R14, R13 and R13 options as .dwg and the other option is a drawing template file .dwt.

EXport works fine though and I now have created a .tap file from the drawing and am ready to do a test cut.

Cheers,

Rob

try typing DXFOUT in the command line.
    Gerry

Mach3 2010 Screenset

try typing DXFOUT in the command line.
    That works !

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hewitt View Post
    I tried importing Corel to AutoCAD and it was exceedingly messy, Instead of lines and arcs I got some bizarre Bezier shapes the AutoCAD could barely understand and I did not like at all.
    Again with Coreldraw I have an old version and do not intend to waste money upgrading. It does not translate to .dxf at all well. It seems that all lines have thickness and that causes twice the gcode and a lot of unneccesary cutter movement. Also curves are 'blocky' or 'steppy', however you like to describe it.

I have tried DraftSight, but that seems to be just a budget (free!) AutoCAD clone, nevertheless useful for what it is.

Cheers,

Rob

The trouble with AutoCAD comes when you create a mesh. At point of creation you have to define how many facets the mesh will have and you cannot go back and edit. You have to redraw if you want to change it. Each ENTITY can have completely different facet settings and they do not SCALE well. If you can stick to lines, arcs and circles then everything is fine and dandy. You can project lines and arcs into 2.5D by changing their THICKNESS but for real 3D work you need Solid Works or the clone thereof. That will allow you to adjust the facet angle and size parameters on the fly when you export the finished shape. CorelDraw is not an engineering product and should not be treated as such, it is for making pretties. You should only use it when pretties and engineering collide, usually realising graphic art and making signage.

I do like a good rant on Saturday morning, sets me up for the weekend. I shall go and blast 50 clays out of the sky with an antique muzzle loader tomorrow morning, bliss.
    Last edited by Robin Hewitt; 05-03-2016 at 10:41 AM.

I doubt that you'll find many people modeling with old style meshes in AutoCAD in the last 10 years. Meshes definitely have their place, if you understand and know how to use them.
    But for the last 10 years, AutoCAD has become a very powerful 3D modeler, with a lot of new modeling features.
    Lofting, nurbs, mesh subdivision, smoothing, solids. I would say that you can do at least 90-95% of what Solidworks can do in AutoCAD, if you know what you're doing.
    THe biggest problem with 3D modeling in AutoCAD is that you need a pretty powerful PC if you're doing complex models. Until last year, I've done all my modeling in AutoCAD. But now I'm switching to Fusion 360, which is far more capable for 3D work, has built in CAM, and is about 15% of the price of AutoCAD. (And free for most hobbyists).
    But I still use AutoCAD for my 2D machining. AT least until I have time to learn more about Fusion's CAM.
    Gerry

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Have I opened Pandoras Can of Worms ?

You need to buy an autocad R14 book, it just so happens.............

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information