. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ey up chaps, I'm stuck.

I have got a very old version of AutoCAD loaded on my CNC computer, which has no unnecessary software (networking etc), so the easy way of explaining my problem is to start with a photo of the screen
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1501.JPG 
Views:	397 
Size:	128.4 KB 
ID:	17787

What I am making is a harmonica case. The inside cutout is two rectangles and two circles. I want to end up with a pocket which is the combine of the four shapes. I can do the drawing in Coreldraw, and weld up the shapes, but when I transfer it to the CAM program (EstlCam) it produces a very 'steppy' outline, which is no use. I have to export the drawing to a .dwg file with Corel and then open it in AutoCAD and export it as a .dxf file to go into Estlcam. Somewhere in this process it loses the continuity of the shape.

How do I make the four shapes into one outline ?

I must admit that I do not understand the AutoCAD terminology. The program was bought for my son when he was a student in the late 1990's and I am unwilling to spend money on a CAD program, when there are so many free ones about and I am unlikely to use them to any worthwhile extent.

Cheers,

Rob
    Last edited by cropwell; 03-03-2016 at 12:26 AM.

Sorted - after a lot of messing about !

iirc you type in the word TRIM :D

Hi, sorry I meant to PM you!
    Last edited by suesi34e; 03-03-2016 at 07:28 PM.

I have got past the stage of creating the shapes I need. Now I find I can't make them into a dxf file to put into my CAM program. All I get is the outer rectangle. I attach a copy of the dwg file, if anyone can help. The inside shape was created as a REGION and then made an outline with the UNION command.

Here's the dwg file hc2.dwg

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 11 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Rob are you trying to convert it to DXF if so here it is

Rob.dxf
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

Thanks Clive, but I was hoping to find out why I could not do it, What the Fun was I doing that the export command did not pick up the inner bit?

I need to know so that I can do other drawings through the same process.

Cheers,

Rob

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 11 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Rob was load it into Acad and saved as dxf in your version.

I don't understand why it does not do that for you.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Rob was load it into Acad and saved as dxf in your version.

I don't understand why it does not do that for you.
    Maybe because I have a very old version of AutoCAD (R14). It only gives me the .dwg or .dwt option on save as. DraftSight does not export the file either. I thought it might be because I had to create a REGION to combine the shape and this put it on another layer or something.

I tried 'Save As' .dxf in DraftSight and that did not work properly as well.

I reckon it is because I feel knacked at the moment and everthing is working to Sods Law. If I have a fresh go at it over the weekend, I might see what is happening.

Cheers,

Rob
    Last edited by cropwell; 03-03-2016 at 08:54 PM.

I tried importing Corel to AutoCAD and it was exceedingly messy, Instead of lines and arcs I got some bizarre Bezier shapes the AutoCAD could barely understand and I did not like at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information