. .
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Is that a manual mill or CNC controlled? Either way, good craftmanship!

Quote Originally Posted by sinnsvak View Post
    Is that a manual mill or CNC controlled? Either way, good craftmanship!
    It is a manual mill but it has a rotary head. Pretty cool machine, Kearney Trecker 2D rotary head die mill. I had never seen one before and just stumbled across this one when looking for a mill. It can cut circles up to 8 inches. The one I have was built in 1946 and was a little rough, very helpfuly with this cnc router build. Although the table only travels 18 inches X and 12 inches Y so for the Z axis its a bit limiting... but I find ways around that so not a big deal.

Thanks for the comment.

Quick update

Z axis machining is done. Now just need to start putting this together waiting on ballscrews to arrive. I hope to do the epoxy pours this coming week as the weather is starting to get warmer...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160322_195030.jpg 
Views:	338 
Size:	164.3 KB 
ID:	18007Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160322_195022.jpg 
Views:	352 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	18008

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Damman View Post
    Quick update

Z axis machining is done. Now just need to start putting this together waiting on ballscrews to arrive. I hope to do the epoxy pours this coming week as the weather is starting to get warmer...

Looks very nice1 You are a man of action Scott
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Finally a little bit of progress, got the Z axis final machining done, painted the metal work, and installed the linear rails. I also made up the Z to Y plate and did initial checks for squareness.

Name:	20160404_200733.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	140.0 KB 
ID:	18098

Name:	20160404_200811.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	145.1 KB 
ID:	18099

Name:	20160404_200820.jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	138.5 KB 
ID:	18100

Name:	20160404_200832.jpg 
Views:	331 
Size:	126.0 KB 
ID:	18101

I am waiting on my ballscrews to arrive so I can finish the build out of the major mechanical parts. Crazy how they can go from China to US and clear customs in 1 day and then take 4 days sitting 3 hrs from me... Still no guarantee they are coming tomorrow.

Once ballscrews are mounted and some initial adjustments are made I will do the epoxy pour.

So a question, I received my CSMIO - IP/A in the mail and did some initial hook up to it. Followed the instructions in the manual for setup and download of mach3 plugin. I however can not connect to it. I can ping its IP address but both the firmware uploader and Mach3 can not connect to it.

Any thoughts on what I am missing?
    I made a new rule in my firewall settings to include/allow the IP address
    Intially I can ping it and get flashing lights on the IP/A
    after about 3 - 5 minutes the lights go solid and I can no longer ping it...

Thanks

So a question, I received my CSMIO - IP/A in the mail and did some initial hook up to it. Followed the instructions in the manual for setup and download of mach3 plugin. I however can not connect to it. I can ping its IP address but both the firmware uploader and Mach3 can not connect to it.

Any thoughts on what I am missing?
    I made a new rule in my firewall settings to include/allow the IP address
    Intially I can ping it and get flashing lights on the IP/A
    after about 3 - 5 minutes the lights go solid and I can no longer ping it...

Thanks
    Strange because Usually very straight forward provided you set Network adapter manually it works.

So have you set internet protocol version4 (TCP/IPv4) address manually.?

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Strange because Usually very straight forward provided you set Network adapter manually it works.

So have you set internet protocol version4 (TCP/IPv4) address manually.?

Yeah 10.1.1.1 was entered manually into my computer. I pinged 10.1.1.2 when reaching the IP/A.

Couple other things I tried, I made 2 new rules for the CSMIO firmware software and Mach3 still no luck.

What I am assuming at the moment, I am using my work laptop as that is the only computer I currently have, I bet it is something with my IT policy on the machine that is blocking it (other than windows firewall). So time to pull my old desktop out of the rafters and get it back up and running...

Still on the search for a good enclosure for the electrical components. Anyone ever put the spindle motor vfd on the gantry rather than run long VFD motor cable to the spindle? I was thinking about do this to keep the 3 phase cabling (higher current to the spindle at least) as short as possible. I think some of the big CNC players do it this way where they have a control cabinet on the backside of the gantry. Thoughts on this?

Thanks
    Scott

Anyone ever put the spindle motor vfd on the gantry rather than run long VFD motor cable to the spindle? I was thinking about do this to keep the 3 phase cabling (higher current to the spindle at least) as short as possible. I think some of the big CNC players do it this way where they have a control cabinet on the backside of the gantry. Thoughts on this?

Thanks
    Scott
    I was contemplating this many times or to integrate it in the machine somehow. First the dust will be a problem, but you could make a cover for it. Biggest issue for me is if cable disconnects and touches a metal while i am touching that metal too. though the machine must be grounded. I don't know. there must be a reason not to do it. It has some vibration requirements also.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Do-able but involved and costly.

Dust and Vibrations are the biggest issues. Cover the VFD and heat becomes an issue so Good Filterd cooling is required. Vabration over time can cause issues so it will need mounting on rubber standoffs.

I would not do it - if this is a single phase input/three phase output VFD then the supply cable will be carrying more current than the motor cable. As mentioned, vibration and muck are serious enemies of electronics.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread Information