. .
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Have you tried a new pp cable yet?
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Quote Originally Posted by eurikain View Post
    I confirm that it is a ground loop. I changed the parallel port today using a PCI card I have. Same noise issue. Disconnecting the PC fixes the issue.
    How can you confirm that it is a ground loop problem!! Have you confirmed that your PP cable is not just a printer cable (not all printer cables are the straight though type) You can check it with a multi meter
    ..Clive

Is there a reason why you don't have an RFI filter on the VFD power lines close to the VFD?

Well, after trying to sort things out again with Graeme, we came to the conclusion that there was no ground loop. The PP cable is straight through, and there is nothing wrong with the 0V connections. So, I decided to take everything out of the control box, and next week I'll wire it step by step and check for interferences at each step.

Quote Originally Posted by eurikain View Post
    Well, after trying to sort things out again with Graeme, we came to the conclusion that there was no ground loop. The PP cable is straight through, and there is nothing wrong with the 0V connections. So, I decided to take everything out of the control box, and next week I'll wire it step by step and check for interferences at each step.
    Put in all in a metal box if you can
    ..Clive

I need to find one first. Probably going to get a bigger cabinet so I have more room to work with. But beforehand I need to make things work.

I would power your VFD from a RFI filter such as this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RASMI-14A-...YAAOSw~OVWyKNV and put ferrites on your PP cable at each end - like these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-Pcs-Gra...oAAOSwCypWpz6J but you won't need 20 of them and you have to get ones that fit the cable.

Anyway - general question - Anybody know ? - do the better quality VFDs have RFI on the mains input ? and do the Chinese ones not have it ?

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Rob

My Teco did.

It would trip the RCD in the 32amp wall socket though. It had an option to disengage it by snipping a wire.
    https://emvioeng.com
    Machine tools and 3D printing supplies. Expanding constantly.

Not related to interference but for safety - I was just looking at the 4th photo in post#1 ('dsc_0004.jpg') and noticed that the blue and brown cables going to the toroidal power supply appeared to be connected to incoming cables using male/female spade connectors. There looked like there was exposed metal on at least on of them.

If they are indeed the mains supply cables I don't think this is a good idea. Either put some heatshrink over each joint, or better still solder the cables together, heat shrink each individually, then heat shrink over both.
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

My ABB has one but like George it tripped the RCD. Thou mine was easier to disengage it was just remove a screw.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information