. .

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    well , i gotta first thank all these peoples who build a wealth of information for people like me trying to get understanding in cnc, been reading for a few weeks now i feel committed to nut housing , must admit , a few years ago now i first seen cnc & diy builds i did think oh thats a bit gimmicky , alas as i have grown my understanding i think that may have been an impulse reaction to the fear & intimidation of building or beginning to comprehend such a task. i obviously now see the value of being able to complete a task as efficiently as numerically possible. i would like to build a machine but really like to avoid waste , aiming to build my optimum machine right first time(is it possible???) sure then it immediately starts looking like there's about 3 machine i should build.

initially im thinking birch(russian)plywood torsion box bed & gantry, have seen some designs suggesting optimized for attenuation of resonance while retaining high stiffness/rigidity-speed/agility balance . this part may change , although weight being a consideration is why currently lean toward plywood build. again early doors so may change spec here.

i would very much appreciate more experienced advice and views on ANYTHING you see that may need better consideration

so to the nitty gritty, my aim is around X1220mm x Y610-814mm x Z<150mm travel , maybe with main base having 1 or 2 additional beds, looking at http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster...y-table-211556 how difficult could it be to also incorporate such a thing to make twists , text around items, work on four faces of an item?? don't want to bite off more than i can chew though,as this part would need be removable may be complicated to do if at all, and not sure i know

simplicity suggested 2 motors direct drive 2 2010 fixed-fixed ballscrews on either side X, but pulleys & belts with 1 motor for X may be the way to go for me,offering more options and some isolation/attenuation. if i am correct 1401-1460mm depending on which length ballnut should give me 1220mm travel but what about pulleys , do pulleys require longer screw or if i am ordering fixed-fixed will there be room for pulleys.

maybe my discombobulated ramble should have a synopsis....... mostly wood work machine , never machined aluminium and probably not feasible in current thought process though would be a beautiful thing to do ,as i said ply build with damping and isolation?? although then juggling should i buy in machined plate and build small machine ,hwin rails etc capable of alu work then build , woodworking machine Z & parts of Y from plate ,woodworking machine capable of cutting sheet , twisted legs etc , clamping on side of bed for dovetails , mortice & tenons. sbr20 on X,Y & Z ? ,two 2010 ballscrew on X, 1610 on Y, 1605 on Z.beneficial or detrimental 2010 2005 screws Y & Z , well the synopsis is just turning me more unresolved problems

anyhow,would be great if i could get recommendations for CAD software, i can start making some tangible design,then will have a drawing i can submit to the GOD'S for approval. would like something that i can use later for cnc but that can do drawing of potential machines now . have noticed sketchup mentioned, not sure that is best solution , maybe there is not a program like i am looking.
    Last edited by CHIpHload; 16-03-2016 at 01:07 AM. Reason: attempting to make more legible to other than self

Thread Information