. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi All,

Can anyone point me to some clear information (or offer me some) regarding wiring my VFD to the BOB for speed control with Mach3? I've got one of the HuanYang VFD's for a 2.2Kw spindle. The BoB is a DB25-1205.

I've seen relays mentioned but I've not found anything concrete yet.

Dave

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 23 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by dcrowder View Post
    Hi All,

Can anyone point me to some clear information (or offer me some) regarding wiring my VFD to the BOB for speed control with Mach3? I've got one of the HuanYang VFD's for a 2.2Kw spindle. The BoB is a DB25-1205.

I've seen relays mentioned but I've not found anything concrete yet.

Dave
    I don't think the BOB has the capability to control the spindle speed or indeed has any relays on it.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Ok well there are two parts to this. Speed control and ON/OFF operation of the VFD.
    On/OFF is easy enough and like you seen it's done using a Relay.

Controlling the speed needs 0-10v signal which is sent to the VFD.

Unfortunatly the DB25-1205 isn't much good for either of these.? It doesn't have 0-10v speed control and it doesn't have built in relay.
    So this means you'll need separate Analog or PWM Speed control board which gives you 0-10V signal.

ON/OFF can be done using external Relay using one of the Outputs to control it. However you'll need to make sure the coil of relay used doesn't pull more current than the OUTPUT can provide. The BOB manual should tell you this Info.

Also be aware some external spindle boards will use up one of your Axis.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 17-03-2016 at 11:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Ok well there are two parts to this. Speed control and ON/OFF operation of the VFD.
    On/OFF is easy enough and like you seen it's done using a Relay.

Controlling the speed needs 0-10v signal which is sent to the VFD.

Unfortunatly the DB25-1205 isn't much good for either of these.? It doesn't have 0-10v speed control and it doesn't have built in relay.
    So this means you'll need separate Analog or PWM Speed control board which gives you 0-10V signal.

ON/OFF can be done using external Relay using one of the Outputs to control it. However you'll need to make sure the coil of relay used doesn't pull more current than the OUTPUT can provide. The BOB manual should tell you this Info.

Also be aware some external spindle boards will use up one of your Axis.
    Did someone say BOB manual there?? :) er this is the DB25-1205 you know... low res connection diagrams showing only pin numbers are the order of the day here... but hey I'm on a budget!

This sounds as if it'd be more cost effective (in the long run) if I just go for a new BOB that'll do what I want. Does the Arduino solution work here? or are there any other budget solutions?

Does the Arduino solution work here? or are there any other budget solutions?
    Can't answer the Arduino question and terms Budget and CNC don't mix well. Experience taught me when mixed they =

This sounds as if it'd be more cost effective (in the long run) if I just go for a new BOB that'll do what I want. Does the Arduino solution work here? or are there any other budget solutions?
    There are plenty of cheap BoBs around with relays and speed control. The Arduino solution (whatever that is !) would probably cost you more than a new BoB.

Please enlighten me about what you mean - Arduino Solution.
    Cheers
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Can't answer the Arduino question and terms Budget and CNC don't mix well. Experience taught me when mixed they =
    Ok most cost effective BOB then ;)

And do I take it that my work flow for today using what I have should be as such?...

Set Feeds in the GCode > Zero Machine then back off > Set spindle speed (lost here now as I was banking on mach3 looking after that) > Run Spindle > Run Gcode > Pray

Quote Originally Posted by cropwell View Post
    There are plenty of cheap BoBs around with relays and speed control. The Arduino solution (whatever that is !) would probably cost you more than a new BoB.

Please enlighten me about what you mean - Arduino Solution.
    Cheers
    Rob
    maybe I'm just a little confused but I believe there are people using an arduino as a controller but they could easily be using a BoB also.

I am a little suspicious of that solution. Estlcam has provision for an arduino controller, but I don't know where you would get one, how it is programmed and what functionality it offers. Being Arduino, it ought to be open source.

Having said that I took a look on t'Interweb and found this http://blog.protoneer.co.nz/arduino-cnc-controller/ - interesting !

Cheers,

Rob

maybe I'm just a little confused but I believe there are people using an arduino as a controller but they could easily be using a BoB also.
    There is some open-source software called grbl that runs on an Arduino. It takes gcode via a usb connection and will generate step/dir pulses for up to 3 axes. There are a few digital inputs for limits and homes plus run/stop, and outputs for spindle direction and analogue speed plus coolant switching. You can wire the Arduino output pins directly to a stepper driver without a BOB. I was using a cheap TB-something driver but the input side of these things uses pretty much the same opto-isolators as any driver. Unlike Mach3 or LinuxCNC, grbl has no user interface so you have to run something on a PC to send it gcode, accept manual input, etc. If you think of it as an external motion controller, it will give pulse rates up to 25KHz or so on 3 axes and could be used with a low-spec PC with something like Universal Gcode Sender to give a crude user interface, but Mach3/LinuxCNC it ain't. Neither is it a BOB replacement.
    Last edited by Neale; 19-03-2016 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Corrections

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information