. .
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Why would you go with 2:1 ratio on 5mm pitch screw. This will be far too slow for router.

Also to make matters worse your only running 36V which means your your steppers are under performing by far margin, even with 48Vdc they will be running slower than they are capable of doing.

With 36v you'll be lucky to get 1000rpm and have any torque left. With 5mm pitch screw at 1:1 ratio that would only give Max feed rate of 5000mm/min. This halfs with 2:1 ratio. 2500mm/min is way to slow and this is Rapid speeds. Your actual cutting feeds will be in the 2000mm/min range which is way to slow for router.

Dump the ratio or better still swap the Pulleys around and go with 1:2 ratio. Up the voltage to 48v ASAP.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

My mistake ratio is 1:2 30 teeth on Motor 15 teeth on Ballscrew, I already had 2x36v power supplies on the shellf and have 2x48v being removed from machines being disassembled shortly so having deep pockets and short arms that is what I have used. The DM542 are only rated to 50v I believe so close to the limit available to me using these drivers.

Looking good so far!

I'm also using 542's though not the digital ones, I wouldn't go above 45v as you need to leave some head room (10%).

Stick with 1:2 and call it good/done personally.

.Me
    .Me

Cheers Lee I am sure the 48v supplies adjust on a pot same as 36v so shouldn't be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by lucan07 View Post
    Cheers Lee I am sure the 48v supplies adjust on a pot same as 36v so shouldn't be a problem.
    Cool good luck with that then, interestingly I've just ordered some moxa dr-4524's to use for my control gear, these have an adjustable pot too, what I can't find out is just how much range is in the adjustment.

How much adjustment are you getting from these smps units? I'm after one I can bring down to 12v but with around 60w as it's to power a pc.

Edit: Ahh OK just seen it gives you the range on the meanwell units in the datasheet...

.Me
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 29-04-2016 at 11:01 AM.
    .Me

So much for a day off only ended up working till 9pm, had to plug it in a try it when I got back, spindle fine, Z axis fine, Y axis with A slaved no problem, X axis just a rumble and rock from motor, too tired to even think about it tonight can't be too serious it didn't go bang! The two working axis have proved already it has all the speed I will ever be able to use in the flat and then some if it lived in a shed the shed would have been rocking. Would have been nice to have it all work but 4 from 5 is better than a kick up the backside.

Quote Originally Posted by lucan07 View Post
    So much for a day off only ended up working till 9pm, had to plug it in a try it when I got back, spindle fine, Z axis fine, Y axis with A slaved no problem, X axis just a rumble and rock from motor, too tired to even think about it tonight can't be too serious it didn't go bang! The two working axis have proved already it has all the speed I will ever be able to use in the flat and then some if it lived in a shed the shed would have been rocking. Would have been nice to have it all work but 4 from 5 is better than a kick up the backside.
    Nm your not the only one as I've had to sit around not doing much today too :(.

Early start in the morning? Post a video of her jogging about with a big cheesy grin of joy? Go on spoil me you know you want to

Will you share with me where you got your spindle and VFD from, that is a good price maybe I was looking in the wrong place but I was seeing £300 for the 2.2's...

Lee
    .Me

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roberts View Post
    Will you share with me where you got your spindle and VFD from, that is a good price maybe I was looking in the wrong place but I was seeing £300 for the 2.2's...
    Lee
    No problem Lee Fleebay had a 20% off everything offer for a few hours on 6th or 7th of April so I grabbed the VFD and spindle then, full price is £182 ans I got £36 discounted. Still has original offer ships from Germany about 5 days.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2817523492...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I have set up cooling in a 25ltr can of distilled\deionised water removed 10 ltr and added 5ltr of Mono Propylene Glycol to prevent any algae etc, Trying a new idea with pump though a minature 8.5w with 10ft lift seems to be ideal and totally silent.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3913989923...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Great thing is fits into can easily so drill three holes in cap 2x9mm for hose and 1x3mm for cable drop pump in and screw on cap sealed unit, return pipe above water and only noise is the trickle of water from the set up if you listen carefully.

Will post some video as soon as last motor sorted while tuning Y and slaved A tweaking it up, at 5m pm with 2000 accel the whole thing began to walk/run accross the room quite a weight on gantry, so I am going to have to machine either keys or flats or get some decent resin to lock timing pulleys securely, I've tapped 2 x 4mm grub screws into each pulley but would not trust them to hold at the speeds it was moving especially on round end of Ballscrew. I can't see torque or speed being a problem apart from trying to tear my hard work to pieces if I push it to hard.

Another bargain I found may be of interest was the spindle mount under £20 delivered from HongKong and it arrived in 6 days was thinking about machining a large bearing mount but at that price not worth while.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1317724808...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    Last edited by lucan07; 30-04-2016 at 12:33 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to lucan07 For This Useful Post:

Been thinking about my pulleys and how to secure them over breakfast, it may be obvious that I have little or no engineering experience so is this an acceptable way to lock pulleys securely.

My problem:
    Each pulley is drilled and tapped and fitted with opposing 4mm grub screws, but motor and ballscrew shafts to which they are mounted are both round so not an ideal situation and I sure they would eventually move at some point.

My intended solution:
    To drill into the pulley and shaft from the end effectively making a semi circular keyway into which I can insert a pin, I am thinking that 2-3mm drill giving 1-1.5mm semi circular key slot in both shaft and pulley would be enough to lock these connections and prevent slippage.

I know keyways tend to be slotted and have vertical sides, but as an amateur who did not consider the amounts of torque involved moving weight at speed
    a) is my solution viable?
    b) is 2mm or 3mm with a steel pin sufficient to do job?
    c) is there a simpler way I haven't considered?
    Last edited by lucan07; 30-04-2016 at 07:32 AM.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 13 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Each pulley is drilled and tapped and fitted with opposing 4mm grub screws,
    From my understanding the screws should be at 90' to each other also if you clip a little bit of copper wire off and flatten it then slip it down the grub screw hole it will grip the shaft better.

Loctite will also hold them on.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information