. .

Thread: Tool Changing

Possibly a well too many times asked question but my searches only bring up the talk of scripts so please bear with me!

My g-code wanted a tool change so I swapped the tool, went back to the workpiece surface and zeroed the Z axis - restarted Mach3 and the machine went off and started 'cutting' above the surface.

Was my method correct or am I just imagining it should be easier than it is??

Cheers!

Your method is correct.

Provided you did Zero Z axis and the G-code is correct. Only thing I can think of that would cause this is if you have a tool offset applied in the tool table for that tool #. If your not using spindle with tool holders then all tools in the tool table should be zero.

Cheers Jazz, I'm not using a tool table or anything like that - just a plain manual swap by hand and 2 x adjustable spanners. My bits are of different lengths. At least I know the problem isn't with me!

Quote Originally Posted by dcrowder View Post
    Cheers Jazz, I'm not using a tool table or anything like that - just a plain manual swap by hand and 2 x adjustable spanners. My bits are of different lengths. At least I know the problem isn't with me!
    I have had this when playing with some preinstalled tools in a CAM program.

you will need to look through your gcode for the tool length offset call G43 H~ and delete it. Do not delete the M6 call as this is what stops the machine.

If you ever rig up a tool measuring probe and use Mach3 then it is worth looking up Ger21's mach2010 screenset. makes zeroing tool after tool swaps a doddle
    https://emvioeng.com
    Machine tools and 3D printing supplies. Expanding constantly.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to komatias For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by komatias View Post
    I have had this when playing with some preinstalled tools in a CAM program.

you will need to look through your gcode for the tool length offset call G43 H~ and delete it.
    Should only apply the offset if one is set in the tool table. So for instance if calls G43 H1 Z 5 and the #1 offset in tool table is Zero nothing is applied so makes no difference if G43 is there or not.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 23-03-2016 at 12:09 PM.

Thread Information