. .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Make sure you don't have the lead plugged into the current connectors marked "A" or "mA" - For voltage they should be plugged into "COM" and "V". Its very easy to forget.
    Graeme

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 17 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    Make sure you don't have the lead plugged into the current connectors marked "A" or "mA" - For voltage they should be plugged into "COM" and "V". Its very easy to forget.
    Graeme
    Yes but good meters don't let you do that. But good point. Dave: By capacitance I meant from the leads they act as a capacitor if they are very close.
    Last edited by Clive S; 26-03-2016 at 08:06 PM.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Thanks guys,

Definitely on the volts, this meter only has three sockets - V/mA, Com, 10A and i only used the Com and V/mA ones 99% of the time.

I can't see lead capacitance having any effect here, surely it should be a measurable 0 to 10v Dc signal going to the VFD?

I know 4-20mA can be a pain to measure sometimes unless its loaded properly but 0-10v?

Quote Originally Posted by Davek0974 View Post
    I fired the question at cnc4you and just got a reply - yes i should be able to measure 0-10v there, so i have no idea why i cannot.
    Sounds like you have dodgy Bob to me.? 100% should be able to measure the Voltage coming out the speed Controller.

Bugger, sounds about right for my luck.

But then how the heck does it manage to work at all?

Might be worth putting the 'scope on it?

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 17 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by Davek0974 View Post
    Bugger, sounds about right for my luck.

But then how the heck does it manage to work at all?

Might be worth putting the 'scope on it?
    A telescope won't help
    ..Clive

I think he meant a proctoscope

Quote Originally Posted by cropwell View Post
    I think he meant a proctoscope
    I think you meant a endoscope
    ..Clive

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    I think you meant a endoscope
    No I meant a proctoscope ! Happy Easter Clive..

Serious suggestion now - If you have an analogue meter these can have impedances as low as 5000 ohms per volt. All electrical measuring devices draw current from the circuit and this affects the circuit (experts can get precious here, but I am simplifying !). Having said that, I would not expect the BoB to be such a high impedance source as to have a drastic voltage drop when meter is put on it.

As Jazz says, it could be a dodgy Bob. I have never met a Dodgy Bob, but I do know a bloke called Dodgy Dave.
    Last edited by cropwell; 27-03-2016 at 02:03 PM.

Yep happy Easter Rob I was just jesting Avo 7 days and valve volt meters.
    ..Clive

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information