. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lives in doncaster, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 05-08-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 53.
    I must be doing something wrong, and I am sure it is obvious but I am missing it as usual.
    After loading g code and setting tool , my tool tip in on material at zero, when I push cycle start it move directly to first position instead of lifting and clearing material first.? Just wait now for the first person to tell me the obvious.

Let us know what controller/software/machine you are using. Sounds like you don't have a safe Z clearance distance setup.

Lives in doncaster, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 05-08-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 53.
    It is Mach 3 and it dose say safe z not set but not sure how to set it

Unfortunately I don't use Mach3 as yet so you'll need to hang around until someone else wakes up.
    I normally set up my safe Z clearance height in the cad/cam software before it gets to my controller.
    What are you using to create the G code?

I'm using solidcam

I don't use solidcam either so I'm not being much help to you. Somewhere in the material or milling operation setup in solidcam there will be a box for you to input a safe z distance. It might be labelled as clearance distance or something like that. You would normally set that distance so that the cutting tool would be able to clear the workpiece and any jigs or fixtures above the material.

This link has some info: https://alliance.seas.upenn.edu/~med...structions.pdf
    Step 3 on the pdf shows a pocket milling operation and has a box for clearance level. I think this is where you put your safe distance value.

Quote Originally Posted by kell View Post
    I must be doing something wrong, and I am sure it is obvious but I am missing it as usual.
    After loading g code and setting tool , my tool tip in on material at zero, when I push cycle start it move directly to first position instead of lifting and clearing material first.? Just wait now for the first person to tell me the obvious.
    After setting zero move Z up to your clearance plane before starting the job.
    The software which generates your code will assume your machine is starting from a homed position - well above the work.
    When we manually set a zero we often need to leave the machine as the CAM software would expect to find it - with the tool well clear of the work,
    Regards,
    Nick
    Last edited by magicniner; 31-03-2016 at 04:12 PM.

It's SolidCAM's responsibility to lift the tool, not Mach3.
    Mach3 just does what SolidCAM is telling it.
    Gerry

Mach3 2010 Screenset

JointCAM - CAM for Woodworking Joints

Tut tut Mark you wasn't paying attention was you when I showed you last time. . .Lol

If get done early enough tomorrow (fri) I'll call on way from work and show you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information