. .

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by theceo View Post
    i hear you on the laser but it just seems like to me that a drill bit would cut wood cleaner and better than a laser maybe not metal but definitely wood,
    You get charring due to the laser that can be minimised by selecting the right feeds and power.Then a normal flapper type sanding wheel will take care of the rest. A Drill bit however is only used to drill holes. It cannot cut. An endmill or router bit will cut. The issue I see is that you cannot have a sharp internal corner due to the diameter of your cutter and that is one reason I did the job on my laser. And changing bits out, say from an 1/4" to a 1/10" cutter is a pain. If you are engraving, fine but then you may as well get a proper machine.

The software used for lasers is much simpler than the one required for cutting too. You do not have to worry about parameters, homing, ensuring the GCode is good. For someone that is pretty new to all this, looking to make money cutting out wood, then there is no beating the laser. The learning curve is minimal as opposed to CNC routers/cutting machines where you need a months/years under your belt before being able to confidently say you are any good at it.

Ultimately though it is your money to spend as you please. CNC is rewarding and a good skill to have but a cnc machine is by no means a Santa Claus machine.
    https://emvioeng.com
    Machine tools and 3D printing supplies. Expanding constantly.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to komatias For This Useful Post:

Thread Information