. .
    Hello

Thank you for reading my question

I do not have any experience in drilling 0.2mm holes on aluminium

I am not sure exactly what sort of aluminium it is, and I am not sure even about the type of the drill but I think it should be carbide
    But what really surprised me they machine these Ø0.2mm holes mounting the drill on a collet

Collets sometimes can run up to 50microns out or less, it depends on the quality of the brand of the collet, and if you mount the drill in such collet I am sure the drill will break

I would like to hear some experience of machinist who drilled this kind of holes before, and what sort of holder did you use and what sort of run-out, if you checked the run-out if of course

Thank you in advance for your support

I am a complete novice but cannot see how else you would do this as most chucks are not going to hold 0.2mm accurately enough so a collet would be my option as would slow and steady order of the day most micro drills come on 3.175 or 3mm shanks so I can't see your problem.

You've effectively answered your own question about variable quality in some cheap brands, don't try to save money on tooling when doing difficult jobs, use a good quality and brand!

Quote Originally Posted by lucan07 View Post
    I am a complete novice but cannot see how else you would do this as most chucks are not going to hold 0.2mm accurately enough.
    At the required speeds much of the available equipment has adequate provision for accurate tool holding, I've drilled 0.3mm holes in 316L with carbide drills, I used the supplied chuck on ajapanese X7 speed increaser, peck drilling at 28800rpm with WD40 for lubrication.
    You're more likely to break small drills by running them too slow than anything else.

Aluminum is a bitch for such small holes. Of course you need a collet, not chuck. Even cheap chinese collet holds 0.01mm or better. And to tell you the truth when speaking about precision, you are most likely to loose precision from not cleaning properly your spindle or collet, than from the collet or spindle itself.
    You definitely have to peck drill and make sure you blow away the chips. Chips no dust or rubbing.
    Drills must be carbide and brand ones. Look at Kyocera on ebay, drillman1
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Thank you very much indeed to everyone

Thread Information