. .

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Lives in Rotherham, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 43 Minutes Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,021. Received thanks 230 times, giving thanks to others 42 times.
    This is what I cobbled together to utilise the spare engraving spindle (the one I'm holding) which came with, but didn't fit, my Gravograph IM3, and subsequently used for micro-machining with my own home-brew spindle.

For constant depth engraving (good for about 20 degrees off centre either way on a 20mm cylinder and on non-level or irregular surfaces) the brass nose has a spherical socket at it's tip, which accepts a steel sphere with a through hole for the cutter and a flat to follow the work surface.
    Adjust the amount of cutter tip protrusion and that's as deep as it will cut.
    The Del-Tron R702 is a Micrometer Stage with a spring between the micrometer and the moving slide to allow the cutting pressure to be set for different materials and screwed down solid for Micro-Machining.

The spindle in the mount is one I knocked up from an ER11 Collet chuck on a 10mm shank, a bit of ally bar and some bearings, at the moment I use this for micro-machining but I'm planning an attachment allowing the same function as the brass nose on the engraving spindle.

The size differential between the driving pulley on the mill spindle and the cutting spindles gives 28800rpm cutting speed for 6000rpm mill speed, the belt is from Polyurethane drive belt sold by length, cut to length and welded by me using a cigarette lighter.

I hope this will inspire someone else to fulfil their engraving/micro-machining requirements ;-)

- Nick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Engraving Setup Resized.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	121.9 KB 
ID:	18207  

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to magicniner For This Useful Post:

Thread Information