. .
    If everyone started with fag paper roughs and progressed to a full-on back of a fag packet sketch we could cut out the current mania for brilliantly executed, technically excellent and beautifully detailed renders of 3D models that aren't worth jack.
    Possibly? ;-)

- Nick
    Last edited by magicniner; 17-04-2016 at 08:26 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to magicniner For This Useful Post:

m_c

Nick you need to start smoking a different weed this ones not agreeing with you.

Regards 3D models then I agree on the time wasting rendering but not the creation of 3D models.? When designing a machine, esp complex or tight fitting then being able to test fit together in 3D space can be priceless. Also most 3D models actually starts with 2D drawing and it's just few clicks to turn 2D to 3D so why not.!

Fair point, but it does my head in when some numpty with a design more full of wobbly bits than a tin of spaghetti hoops starts waffling on about Finite Element Analysis, especially when they clearly have no concept of the behaviour of material sections under bending moments or torsion and wouldn't recognise triangulation if it hit them on the back of the neck ;-)
    What on earth do they teach in the first couple of years of Physics these days?

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    What on earth do they teach in the first couple of years of Physics these days?
    Which came first the fag paper or fag packet then progress from there.

Quote Originally Posted by phill05 View Post
    Which came first the fag paper or fag packet then progress from there.
    I don't suppose that matters, but why use a high-tech medium to present designs not worth a sheet of A4 and a 2H pencil?
    :-D

I don't suppose that matters, but why use a high-tech medium to present designs not worth a sheet of A4 and a 2H pencil?
    :-D
    Some people are better at 3D modelling than drawing :) Unless you're talking about a painting or prototype sketching, if it's not worth being rendered, it's probably not worth being drawn :) ?

Quote Originally Posted by eurikain View Post
    if it's not worth being rendered, it's probably not worth being drawn :) ?
    And you have, right there, hit the nail on the head!
    Where does the assumption come from - that being able to model something in 3D means one is capable of designing something structural?

And you have, right there, hit the nail on the head!
    Where does the assumption come from - that being able to model something in 3D means one is capable of designing something structural?
    I have never said such thing. I am not talking about design here, I am talking about a technical ability to use a CAD software or a pencil. You forgot to quote the part of my message that said "Unless you're talking about a painting or prototype sketching".

Well, thinking about it, back in the days CAD didn't exist, and machines were being built, so I guess it's not that essential haha :)
    Last edited by eurikain; 19-04-2016 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by eurikain View Post
    I have never said such thing.
    I didn't suggest you said it, but the number of really well presented, utterly shonky designs we see does suggest there is a prevailing feeling amongst those new to the sport that if you can model it in 3D and make it look pretty that all is well.
    Many would have better spent their time reading a few books on basic engineering design principles,

- Nick

+1 and agreed ;)
    Last edited by eurikain; 19-04-2016 at 09:50 AM.

Thread Information