. .
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    I do not fully understand what this 'cylinder' is that you are refering to. I can only surmise that it is the Z axis end shaft.
    If you get any slipping on this joint, you might try using loctite bearing cement.
    Last edited by cropwell; 25-04-2016 at 09:54 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cropwell For This Useful Post:

The coupling was loose and slipping rubbing against the screw it obviously caused the Z axis to lose steps and therefore its integrity.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to lucan07 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by lucan07 View Post
    The coupling was loose and slipping rubbing against the screw it obviously caused the Z axis to lose steps and therefore its integrity.
    When I pointed that out you said it was the cutter pulling into the work :D
    ;-)
    - Nick

6. The Following User Says Thank You to magicniner For This Useful Post:

My point was even with the 6040 I could not see the axis slipping down 3.75mm as the rubber is only friction fit, Fred came up with steps and it became obvious, as I said I am no machinist a Bricklayer for 20years and an analyst programmer for 20 years the conversation just didn't ring true until the missed steps was mentioned allowing something logical to being factored in as a cause.
    Last edited by lucan07; 25-04-2016 at 07:47 PM.

Loosing steps is very definite terminology which describes something happening when the stepper should move but doesn't, most often caused by incorrect motor tuning, inadequate power supplies, problematic drivers or electro-magnetic inteference.

Mechanical slippage is not "losing steps", (the steps are all there, they're just not transmitted) it's mechanical failure, most often caused by shonky engineering ;-)
    Regards,
    Nick

As I say my background is a bricklayer or IT professional so terminology is all new to me, but if a motor (1.26nm 178oz on the 6040's I have seen) jams because of shonky engineering presumably it can lose steps or is there another term for that.

As I say my background is a bricklayer or IT professional so terminology is all new to me, but if a motor (1.26nm 178oz on the 6040's I have seen) jams because of shonky engineering presumably it can lose steps
    If the coupling can move up or down then it's not holding the shaft tightly enough to reliably transmit all movement and we can reliably derive from this that in the absence of a key device that there is some slip in the drive.
    In talking about "lost steps" we are entering the twilight zone of speculation once again, I missed the post where the OP stated that the motor was jamming, still can't find it, the video shows no evidence of jamming BTW ;-)

or is there another term for that.
    Yes, the term you seek is Speculation, something which someone in a brief moment of sagacity advised us all against :D

- Nick

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information