. .
    Apologies if this is a rather stupid question - I just cant find the answer anywhere on the internet.

I bought 3 second hand AM882H drives which I am planning to use with Zapp 3.1Nm stepper motors. I am using a 60W 10A Mean Well switching power supply and I have the peak current set at 3.6A on the drives. To auto configure the drive for the motor, the manual says flick switch 4 off-on-off in one second.

Can this be done with just the power supply and the motor hooked up to the drive on the bench or does the driver have to be wired to the motion control board when this is done?

Would it be better to have all 3 drives and motors hooked up to the power supply at the same time when this is done or will that not make any difference?

Does doing this on a used drive automatically overwrite previously saved motor parameters?

Thank you.
    Nirmal

OK Yes this can be done without connection to the motion controller. You can have just one drive connected. Yes it will over write the drive parameters
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

Cheers. Thanks for clearing that up.

You can do this on the bench but you will need to do it again when on the machine.?
    This is because the Auto tune energizes the motor and checks resistance/resonance which will be different to when on the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    You can do this on the bench but you will need to do it again when on the machine.?
    This is because the Auto tune energizes the motor and checks resistance/resonance which will be different to when on the machine.
    Will that have to be done while the axis being driven is actually moving?

Quote Originally Posted by nirmal View Post
    Will that have to be done while the axis being driven is actually moving?
    No just with motor Bolted on machine and motor shaft connected to what ever it's driving.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Thank you for the information. I am glad I asked the question. I would never ever have realised on my own that bolting the motors on to the machine could make significant difference to the way the driver operates them.

Quote Originally Posted by nirmal View Post
    Thank you for the information. I am glad I asked the question. I would never ever have realised on my own that bolting the motors on to the machine could make significant difference to the way the driver operates them.
    It's mostly to do with resonance really.!! With good Digital drives like AM882 that deal with resonances very well then you wouldn't notice a massive diffference but on older analog drives then motors run on the bench can sound like can of marbles compared to being on the machine. To the point some struggle to spin if just placed on surface rather than being clamped down.

Thread Information