. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ok - so here goes.

I've made an attempt at building a 8' x 4' water table. Ballscrew x, y, z axis (z axis with 150mm travel was purchased complete off ebay) Currently awaiting delivery of a Hypertherm 45 with machine head. Photo's to follow - please note: constructive criticism greatly appreciated as i've got to learn. Have 3 x nema23 motors (Japanese - forgotten make but will update) all currently direct mounted but the whole thing bolts together. Don't know if these are up to the job. Water table has a drain to catch tank and a pump for refill. 3 phase electrics to the machine plus a neutral for the single phase stuff.

Forgive the brain splurge but its easier to think that way.

Now - i'm out of my depth. When it comes to the drivers plus breakout etc was thinking of trying to get a plug and play system with proximity switches plus emergency stop included. Think MarchantDice do something along these lines. Biggest concern is cooling. Temperatures can easily hit 50 degrees C in my workshop in summer and don't want them frying. Was planning on running Mach3 as seems to be pretty simple - I like simple!

Well there's a start made.

Any and all advice greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

Temperatures are not a problem with good quality electronics. I also live in Spain and summer could be 50C in my garage and 75-80C in the electronic box. No problem so far.

Biggest concern should be ATHC/torch height control/ and at what speeds you will cut what material, cause for very thin material you could need faster speeds than stepper will provide. Depends how you move all of course, what type of bearings and how heavy.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 10 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 77 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyan Silyavski View Post
    Temperatures are not a problem with good quality electronics. I also live in Spain and summer could be 50C in my garage and 75-80C in the electronic box. No problem so far.
    Boyan It can't do the electronics any good to run a those temperatures. Leadshine state ambient temperature should be 0 - 50C and MAX operating temp. <80C so you are right on the limit.

So cooling should be a concern in my opinion.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Quote Originally Posted by Gigalith View Post
    Now - i'm out of my depth. When it comes to the drivers plus breakout etc was thinking of trying to get a plug and play system with proximity switches plus emergency stop included. Think MarchantDice do something along these lines.
    I'd sooner bite down on the Earth lead and point the 45A torch between my eyes and pull the trigger before advise anyone to buy one of those for plasma machine, or any machine to be honest.!!

With any machine the electronics are the heart of the machine but with Plasma it's even more important because your working with high frequencys which electronics don't particularly like playing nicely with if cheap or poorly made components.
    They also don't tolerate sloppy wiring or poor practise so make sure you make a good job of this and have correct shielding and Grounding/filtering etc.

Building a reliable control box for plasma or any CNC machine isn't difficult provided you don't cut corners.

Biggest concern is cooling. Temperatures can easily hit 50 degrees C in my workshop in summer and don't want them frying.

Yes your Concern is valid despite what boyan says. Electronics of any kind don't like working in heat and while they may work ok @50c it 100% will shorten there life.
    The fact your working with Hot metal won't help either so it would be good idea to put some form of cooling or air condtioning thru the control box.

So here's a few photos of the progress so far.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF5477.jpg 
Views:	485 
Size:	377.3 KB 
ID:	18242

Name:	DSCF5481.jpg 
Views:	422 
Size:	351.2 KB 
ID:	18243

Name:	DSCF5480.jpg 
Views:	447 
Size:	382.6 KB 
ID:	18244

Name:	DSCF5484.jpg 
Views:	429 
Size:	263.6 KB 
ID:	18245

Name:	DSCF5482.jpg 
Views:	430 
Size:	354.6 KB 
ID:	18246

Really need to start on the electronics. Can anyone recommend somewhere / someone who I should be talking to about a setup? Would love to build it myself but fear there is way too much learning to do beforehand and time is something I don't have a lot of! 3 boys under 6!!!!!!!!

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 10 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 77 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Just wondering where you are in Andalucia
    ..Clive

Near the desert in Almeria

Near the desert in Almeria
    Ah shame I am over at the other end next week about 50K from Malaga.

Do you know the inductance of the motors? You might run into problems with the ball screws that long without rotating ball nuts.

For Plasma you WILL need some good electronics and they will have to be able to slave the second screw with homing switches. cslabs make some good controllers. Dean (Jazzcnc) is the go to person for advise on them here as he has fitted lots of them.
    ..Clive

After a ridiculously busy summer I'm finally finding a bit of time to try and progress my machine. I decided - after a couple of false starts - that I would be much better off if I at least learnt the basics of what was involved with the electronics so I've had a go myself.
    I've gone with an ESS as this seems to have the ability to do what I need including slaving an axis when I get round to fitting it. Wired it off the table and it did at least turn the motors!!!!! Can't tell you how suprised I was.
    Will post a couple of pics of progress tomorrow.
    Definately some issies ahead - not least of which is initial height detection so if anyone can point me to anything of interest it would be much appreciated. I have had a search but have struggled to find much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information