. .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hi Doddy
    I'll check the distribution board to see what circuit breakers are on the line. Thanks for your input.

Cheers

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    I don't set my VFD to Display RPM just Amps so I can monitor for cutter wear so I'm very aware of the current they pull. For instance milling aluminium 4mm DOC full slot engagement with 8mm 3 flute cutter running 1000mm/min I only pull around 3A when cutter is new. Max is 5A when cutter is so worn it's crying stop.!!
    Only when you jam up or Bog down will you get close or exceed 8A in which case the VFD should be set to Fault if above set amount for any period of time.
    Thats interesting. Thanks for sharing. Great info. Does it work with 6mm 2 flute cutter also? Or its to small to see well difference?
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Quote Originally Posted by Boyan Silyavski View Post
    Thats interesting. Thanks for sharing. Great info. Does it work with 6mm 2 flute cutter also? Or its to small to see well difference?
    Yes works just same with 6mm.
    Edit: The Chinese VFD's can be a little slow to re-act but do show difference. Better drives like my ABB monitor it so precise I can tell when it hits hard or soft spots pretty much instantly. It's saved my skin a few times being able to compensate for any changes.

Andrew I haven't personally used the Hitachi but I built a machine for some one who uses the same VFD with same spindle and it's perfectly fine. Infact the whole machine including VFD runs from 13A socket run down to shed via electrical extension cord. This was 5yrs ago and still hasn't burnt the shed down so can safely say it's ok.!!

Also My ABB 2.2Kw VFD is rated 25A and still it's fine run from 13A. I fit lots of these 2.2Kw Spindle VFD setups and I haven't had one that taxs 13A so sleep safe.!
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 20-04-2016 at 07:45 AM.

Hi Jazzcnc

Thanks very much for the heads up. I've got some O'Reillymen in at the the moment doing some work and they said they could wire in a stronger breaker if need be. The mounting point would be right next to the distribution board so the cable would'nt be more than half a metre. I was just surprised that in the mounting instructions Hitachi recommend 5.3mm² which seems mega thick even for 20 amps here's a link to the manual. http://www.hitachiacdrive.com/wp-con...05/NT3251X.pdf

(my one is the wj200-022sf) thanks for your help again.

Cheers

Andrew

Hi
    Me again, I hope this isn't a stupid question. Is it necessary to have the input phase correct on the ac mains side of a vfd. The reason I asked is the mains plugs over here in Austria are not orientated, unlike the British mains plugs. Using the European plug if correct orientation is required i'm going to have to use some kind of marking. I don't want to blow up the hitachi vfd as it wasn't cheap.

Cheers

Andrew

My view, and nothing that I've seen in the Hitachi manual tells me otherwise, is that the VFD would work with the phases reversed.

Clearly, the recommendation must be to wire the phases correctly to avoid confusion and hazards later on. But, it'd work regardless.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 13 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by the great waldo View Post
    Hi
    Me again, I hope this isn't a stupid question. Is it necessary to have the input phase correct on the ac mains side of a vfd. The reason I asked is the mains plugs over here in Austria are not orientated, unlike the British mains plugs. Using the European plug if correct orientation is required i'm going to have to use some kind of marking. I don't want to blow up the hitachi vfd as it wasn't cheap.

Cheers

Andrew
    In the UK the neutral is bonding to the Earth at the consumer unit generally with the phase being fused.

But in some countries the mains is supplied by a split system ie 220V would be 110 - 0 - 110 with the earth being the 0 that is why the plugs are not polarised they also use two pole mcb's one in each leg.

I think you will be fine which ever way round you connect it. Do you know what system you have re earthing and breakers ie two pole or singe?
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Hi Clive

The breakers are 2 pole according to the switch diagram on the breakers. I don't think the mains here is a split system. 3phase here is at 380v: all my larger tools that I dragged over from England years ago work fine here. From what i've seen on the internet vfd's have basic rectification at the front end so i'd imagine it should work ok. I just wasn't sure if hitachi put some kind of fancy electronics in the vfd that is polarity sensitive. I just had a look in the distribution box without the cover and the breakers are double pole but phase and neutral each use one side of the breaker.

Cheers

Andrew
    Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    In the UK the neutral is bonding to the Earth at the consumer unit generally with the phase being fused.

But in some countries the mains is supplied by a split system ie 220V would be 110 - 0 - 110 with the earth being the 0 that is why the plugs are not polarised they also use two pole mcb's one in each leg.

I think you will be fine which ever way round you connect it. Do you know what system you have re earthing and breakers ie two pole or singe?

Quote Originally Posted by the great waldo View Post
    Hi

Cheers

Andrew
    I guess you have already connected the VFD and found out that it does not matter which way you plug it in, but just to make it clear for everyone else as well...

If you use a one phase VFD it does not matter which way you connect it, as long as you connect one wire to phase and the other to neutral and the third (yellow/green) to PE (protective earth). The main thing is not to confuse earth and neutral, those two are TOTALLY different in the European net. Inside the VFD it makes no difference if neutral and phase connections are switched, so you can safely plug in the VFD in any plug orientation, it really doesn't matter, just like the vacuum cleaner you use, you never know which is phase and which is neutral, it still spins the same way and works just as well.

Hi A_Camera

I wired the motor up and as usual nothing worked, but after adjusting some settings on the vfd I got it to rotate the motor. Now the fun starts with getting the speed settings and all the other settings adjusted to get the motor running properly. Luckily no sparks or smoke so far, just not much time at the moment to do the adjustments and mount the 80mm motor bracket instead of the 43 mm one. I would like to thank everyone here for their input and help. I must say that the Hitachi manual is not very inspiring for a beginner like me.

Cheers

Andrew

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information