. .
    Hallo all. Recently signed up here as I want to get into using my cnc router . I have a Step-Four Basic 540 which used to run OK a few years ago. I got it out of storage and am having some issues getting it to work. If there is anyone here with experience of these machines, and are willing to help, it would be greatly appreciated. The Step-Four came with its own software which runs on DOS and talks to the controller via a 25 pin serial cable. As a result I keep an old laptop just for this . When I connect up everything the software shows the job running but the machine is not moving. I can't tell if the laptop, serial cable or the controller is at fault. I'm not getting any error messages. If I start the software without the controller switched on it reports it can't find the controller which would suggest there is some communication going on between the laptop and controller. What would be ideal is if I could locate someone with a similar setup so I could try my components on their machine and at least identify which part is faulty. The factory has not responded to any of my emails and I can't find a UK agent anywhere. A friend tested each stepper motor with an ardunio and they all work. If I can't get the original software and controller working then I would love to hear about other software/controller combinations that may be adapted to bring the machine back from the dead.

Hi, the Stepfour factory has been gone a few years to my knowledge, I own a Stepfour cnc hot wire cutter running on DOS, check the software is not running in simulation mode, an icon in the bottom right hand side of the screen, should flash green when in simulation mode, the cut will show as though its milling or cutting but the the machine will not move, the software version I have is Professional V3, I have heard of another software to run these small machines is Mach 3, thats all i know about it though never used it only seen it on youtube, hope that helps.

Hello Bazzer
    the early Stepfours with the CF1 and CF2 electronic boxes work fantastically well on Mach 3, in fact Mach 3 transforms the machine into a usefull little piece of kitClick image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1716[2].jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	20080

I produce G code with BobCAD V29 and do 2.5D and full 3D machining on the Stepfour, cut sizes and machining stratergies need to be well thought out but the results are pleasing.

The only problem is that there is no control of the spindle using the Stepfour/Mach 3 combination, I am going to work on this in he New Year. Currently the spindle is manually controlled.

Regards

Barrie

Quote Originally Posted by Pylonracer View Post
    Hello Bazzer
    the early Stepfours with the CF1 and CF2 electronic boxes work fantastically well on Mach 3, in fact Mach 3 transforms the machine into a usefull little piece of kitClick image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1716[2].jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	20080

I produce G code with BobCAD V29 and do 2.5D and full 3D machining on the Stepfour, cut sizes and machining stratergies need to be well thought out but the results are pleasing.

The only problem is that there is no control of the spindle using the Stepfour/Mach 3 combination, I am going to work on this in he New Year. Currently the spindle is manually controlled.

Regards

Barrie

Fburmeister

What is your post about? I dont understand as it is just my post exactly?

regards

Barrie

Plyonracer, could you please share mach3 parameters? i really can't configure it

if someone need i can share the milling sofware v4
    rev. 6 of sept 0406
    that is great for 2 and 2,5d milling/engrave jobs but doesn't support 3d modules
    it works in win98 system

Quote Originally Posted by toninox View Post
    Plyonracer, could you please share mach3 parameters? i really can't configure it

if someone need i can share the milling sofware v4
    rev. 6 of sept 0406
    that is great for 2 and 2,5d milling/engrave jobs but doesn't support 3d modules
    it works in win98 system
    Hello Toninox

I will get the settings recorded and will post them for you.

Regards

Barrie

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Pylonracer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pylonracer View Post
    Hello Toninox

I will get the settings recorded and will post them for you.

Regards

Barrie
    Hi Pylonracer!

Is there any chance that you could share the settings with me, please? I will really appreciate that! I've got a old Basic 540 and it's driving me nuts! :D I can get it work but I'm not sure all the settings are right.

Thanks!

Regards.
    Raul

Quote Originally Posted by rpbenito View Post
    Hi Pylonracer!

Is there any chance that you could share the settings with me, please? I will really appreciate that! I've got a old Basic 540 and it's driving me nuts! :D I can get it work but I'm not sure all the settings are right.

Thanks!

Regards.
    Raul
    at the end Pylonracer never post anything
    if you need the old original software in win98 / msdos and relative parameters. write me lucio @ reciclandino . com

Thread Information