. .
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Following assistance from John S (thanks John) I have done some more engraving, this time using code generated in V-Carve and using my 3mm 30deg 0.2mm carbide cutters, the results were mind-blowing - razor sharp lettering, no burrs on the edges, could not be better and proves the machine is totally capable of detail work...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1328.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	464.2 KB 
ID:	18278

It was not without issue though as I am 99% certain that the first plunge took the ridiculously fine tip off the tool as the first pass at Z-0.25 was air-cutting, pretty certain i could see the tip come off as i was watching pretty closely. The cuts above were done after this though so the results didn't suffer, maybe too fast a plunge rate?

So, in the last few days I now have a working setup of Vectric, nice software it seems, still reading the manual ;) It is intuitive though and have got a test text file I was messing with, setup some tools, hopefully using the same settings extracted from Johns' file but this time using a 3mm 60deg carbide bit as this angle seems the most common?

The results were nowhere near as good and I was bit disappointed with them - there are burrs on the edges and the cuts are generally crap under a magnifying glass looking like they were hacked out with a machete ;)

Name:	IMG_1329.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	499.5 KB 
ID:	18279

So, obviously lots to learn here, any pointers???

Quote Originally Posted by Davek0974 View Post
    Following assistance from John S (thanks John) I have done some more engraving, this time using code generated in V-Carve and using my 3mm 30deg 0.2mm carbide cutters, the results were mind-blowing - razor sharp lettering, no burrs on the edges, could not be better and proves the machine is totally capable of detail work...

Name:	IMG_1328.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	464.2 KB 
ID:	18278

It was not without issue though as I am 99% certain that the first plunge took the ridiculously fine tip off the tool as the first pass at Z-0.25 was air-cutting, pretty certain i could see the tip come off as i was watching pretty closely. The cuts above were done after this though so the results didn't suffer, maybe too fast a plunge rate?

Great!

Its a common problem- about the tip i mean. I am extremely conservative with the plunge rate of V cutters, even in wood.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Bit better today, dropped the feedrate to 500 and plunge to 150, this was the same file - new one on top, yesterdays' one below - a much better result but still a tiny burr on a couple of the verticals.

Name:	IMG_1330.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	18280

15mm high 'T' this time with a flat-plane limit set of 2mm so it bottoms out. Came out very nicely i think, picture does not do it justice, iPhones suck at macro work ;)

Name:	IMG_1331.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	18281
    Last edited by Davek0974; 24-04-2016 at 11:15 AM.

That T is great! i forgot, do you use mist cooling?
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Yep, its a home-build minimal quantity coolant system - I'm running on paraffin/oil at about 95% paraffin, I put 500ml in the tank when i built it and its only gone down about 200ml so far and i've done quite a lot of cutting and messing about ;)

You can just about see the film on the metal when cutting, I turn it up a little for deep cuts.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information