. .
    I have a converted X1 mill and an almost complete larger CNC Router build, I also own a small model makers metal lathe 7x14 which I have considered not worth a conversion.

What I have been toying with is the idea of mounting several tool holders and tools on the mill bed and Mounting a lathe spindle in front of the bed so bed can provide multiple tooling options at any one time maybe 3-5 loaded at any time I understand limitations on size of work that could be accomodated. The X and Y axis being driven to engage tools from in front of spindle (in/out and side pressure as required), I can see the programming may be complex a lot of offsets to use but not a problem so is this solution workable or am I missing something major in my approach.

https://emvioeng.com
    Machine tools and 3D printing supplies. Expanding constantly.

Thanks for the link I had made mistake of thinking lathe/horizontal, only problem with that solution for me is at the moment I own and live in 1st floor flat so my mill is a micro Seig x1 500w micro with MT2 taper (70kg was as heavy as I wanted to go as I carried it up alone) I believe to small to accomodate any size of work or a chuck with enough stability to work on currently using ER20 and MT2 morse taper. But this gives me encouragement that it should be possible to place spindle in front of mill, as cuts are normally on centre line presumably it can just be at a fixed level mounted on a solid extension to base, or maybe that its time to move and get the workshop needed to get in some grown up machines.

I have used my ER25 chucks in my mill to turn various bits in the past. You clamp the tool in a vice and off you go. You can make it as complicated as you like with gang tooling and offsets, it is up to you.
    https://emvioeng.com
    Machine tools and 3D printing supplies. Expanding constantly.

Will have a little play next time I have a suitable job rather than using the lathe.

Thread Information