. .
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lucan07 View Post
    Bit posh round your way ain't they, my old lady always used bleeding Rat poison!
    I thought Warfarin was bleeding rat poison! Sorry - technical joke there...

So, cheap compressor, noisy, don't want it indoors, or expensive-but-silent compressor that costs more and performs less but saves on ear plugs. Not sure that old air-conditioning compressors from scrapyards are quite as common in UK as in Spain! And in any case, with the laws on refrigerant release we have these days, they're probably all treated as toxic waste. Some great advice here, guys, that leaves me as confused as I was when I started. But at least I now know what to be confused about...

Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    I thought Warfarin was bleeding rat poison! Sorry - technical joke there...
    Glad you got it!

Those Aldi compressors have gone up in price. I bought a smaller one (25 litres 2.5 Hp) a few years back for about £30 or £40. It's still in the box waiting to be commissioned. I hope it works as the warranty would have expired.

Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    But at least I now know what to be confused about...
    If you should decide to remarry after your first compressor mistake then discover you still feel the need for shop air, look for a rotary screw compressor. The prices are high but they are fast, quiet and will happily run 24/7 so long as you can remember to add oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hewitt View Post
    If you should decide to remarry after your first compressor mistake then discover you still feel the need for shop air, look for a rotary screw compressor. The prices are high but they are fast, quiet and will happily run 24/7 so long as you can remember to add oil.
    Yes, a friend has one in his studio, it cost £3,000 (which he got with a government grant) but the damn thing haemorrhages oil despite having been replaced by the manufacturer once after having the service engineer out many times.
    Rob

My Lidl 2.5hp 25ltr finally died after many years of good service, but it was too loud to chat with someone while it was pumping. I've replaced it with a Workshop Sealey 3hp 1ph, 100ltr beltdriven job. Retail is 600 but got a good deal on ebay for 270 and its looks new. Although 100ltr is a largish tank, this Sealey one still comes on wheels so can be moved around very easily.

I find that belt driven reduces the noise level while charging, as now I can communicate with others to pass the size 17 spanner. Another point I liked is that the lidl compressor charge upto 8bar, the new compressor charges upto 10bar. I adjusted the kick in to 7bar, so the compressor doesn't switch on that often. Another good addon is to plumb in a 'T' connector after the regulator and have both types of compressor connections, euro and pcl.

Adil

Belt driven is the way, if more money is decided to be invested. Its much more quiet.

El cheapo in the £70 range could be silenced in a box without any problem. Have seen that. A friend has that setup.

I am greatly against the direct driven V head compressors in the 150-500 range cause they are scam. First of all they will not deliver the promised ~300l/m , that means not all air tools will work properly. Secondly they are noisy, third they will die fast in an industrial environment. So whats the point wasting money on them.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

For chip clearance and mist lube on the benchtop CNC I'm using a refrigeration compressor, it's silent and works very well.

- Nick
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

9. The Following User Says Thank You to magicniner For This Useful Post:

Proof that doing a good turn now and again can be beneficial, a couple of years ago got an urgent call on sunday morning from a friend who had employed a company to refurbish a dental pratice due to open next morning, the Polish or Romanian sparky I never met them had managed to fit every socket and switch upside down, all taps had also been fitted on wrong hand. Spent a good few hours fixing problems and got a sparky to safety check whole system. Was paid well for my efforts but a bonus arrived today, another practice being refitted so a gift of a nice quiet 24l Bambi 6 months old turned up, a vertical dome shape so takes little room and will fit nicely inder the mill bench. I did drop a little hint when I specced out his LAN the other week but a welcome gift.

As compressors go its quieter than my chest freezer so ideal when trying to run a quiet shop (in a first floor flat with children sleeping in flat directly below). First impressions well engineered and perfect for my needs, if low noise level is your requirement, I could certainly recommend a visit to the dentists after they close! Or maybe opt for the Bambi and pay the extra.
    Last edited by lucan07; 05-05-2016 at 05:24 PM.

As it happens, I have just had to have the compressor replaced in my fridge/freezer (this afternoon) and I shall be trying that out. Of course, the thing might be faulty anyway, but nothing lost if so. Just goes to the dump on my next run. Thanks to magicniner for the suggestion - I would not have expected it to have the air flow needed but it sounds as if it's worth trying.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information