. .
    Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-03-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    Hi all,

A local guitar tech I've done bits and pieces for in the past got in touch recently to see if I could make him a punch/die for knocking out small plastic parts (in ABS). I turned down the project (I know nothing about punches/dies and expected the tolerances to be very high to get anything that would stand a chance of working) and recommended that he post an RFQ up here, which he did. I got in touch with him after a few weeks to see how the tool came out - turns out that getting it made was going to be too expensive to justify for the relatively little use it would get. Being a hobbyist with nothing to lose but a weekend, I thought I'd have a go at it, here are the results:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	die.jpg 
Views:	350 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	18368Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plate-diags.gif 
Views:	328 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	18362Click image for larger version. 

Name:	system.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	18366Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030053.JPG 
Views:	345 
Size:	234.1 KB 
ID:	18372Click image for larger version. 

Name:	assembly.gif 
Views:	376 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	18365Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030073.jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	146.5 KB 
ID:	18363Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030078.jpg 
Views:	335 
Size:	162.5 KB 
ID:	18364Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030064.JPG 
Views:	343 
Size:	198.7 KB 
ID:	18371Click image for larger version. 

Name:	show-face.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	164.1 KB 
ID:	18367

I thought that a bar clamp would be enough to work the punch and it was for one of the plastics I tested it on, but I had to use a larger medium sized G-clamp to find enough force to punch through the ABS. Quite happy with how this came out - it is a bit of a faff to use and it's a bit sloppier than something you'd get made professionally, but hey - it's made and it'll hopefully get a bit of use. If I made another then I'd probably look into running a ball-nose inside the profile of the punch and 'hollowing' it out a bit so as to concentrate the cutting force along the edge of the punch as opposed to across its flat surface - makes sense and would almost certainly make the punching through a lot easier, but could have a detrimental effect on the finish. Any hints and tips..?

Wal.

(EDIT: Plates were cut from 4mm 7075(T6) and the punch was cut from what I believe to be 2014)
    Last edited by Wal; 02-05-2016 at 06:07 PM.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 20 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    As usual Wal you always come up with an interesting project very nice.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-03-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    Cheers Clive,

It's worth having a go, isn't it?! I reckon I'll be sitting down to re-design all of my axis based around profile-rail soon enough, could do with a bit of extra rigidity - will look at enlarging the x-axis travel too. Hopefully catch up with you soon!

Wal.

Very nice, thanks for sharing :)

Awesome Wal - I know where to come to get a new truss rod cover for my Les Paul now :)

BTW - where do you get your 7075 from?
    Last edited by Washout; 03-05-2016 at 09:31 AM.

Thanks guys.

>where do you get your 7075 from?

I've used metalweb a few times now - they have a depot not far from me. It's not cheap - IIRC I paid about £80 for 5 sheets of 200x500x4mm. Lovely stuff, though. Machines pretty well and has a Brinell Hardness rating of 150 (compared to 90-odd for 6082T6). Nice work on those guitar bodies, BTW - looking really good.

Wal.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Wal For This Useful Post:

Nice Job!
    ;-)
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Nice Wal, always top notch the bits you do!
    Neil...

Build log...here

Cheers Neil..!

Thread Information