Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
  1. #31
    My information comes from IT support,for a while I ran a local authority IT dept including education dept and a few Denford's it was one of the recurring jobs talking numpties through the reset, which is why its remembered.

  2. #32
    for info

    Triac

    running ESS, PMDX126 and original digi plan drivers, it use nema 43 steppers
    there is a home brew board between PMDX and digi plan driver which came with the machine


    microrouter

    running ESS, BOB and drivers as linked to at the start of this thread.

    steppers in the microrouter

    stepper drivers are running on 36v and set to 2.8amps

    Last edited by andy_con; 04-06-2016 at 09:35 PM.

  3. #33
    m_c's Avatar
    Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 6 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,833. Received thanks 192 times, giving thanks to others 5 times.
    Andy, any idea what current the original drivers were set at?
    Regardless, it looks like you're running the motors within their ratings, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. You could probably drop the current a little bit more if you're concerned, but it really depends on how conservatively or hard you want to run things.

    One thing that I keep wondering about, is why the microstepping setting never worked how it should. If it was because the DIP switch was faulty, then the current setting could also be an issue.
    It's probably not a fault, but was the step per setting a problem for all axis?
    And are all the steppers getting equally warm?


    Lucan, even at that, you keep posting what sound like definitive solutions without getting all the facts, which could quite easily cause more problems than they solve.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

  4. #34
    How can it sound like a definitive solution when we were talking about a Triac that has no problem?

  5. #35
    m_c's Avatar
    Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 6 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,833. Received thanks 192 times, giving thanks to others 5 times.
    I'm bored tonight, so here we go from this thread alone
    Quote Originally Posted by lucan07 View Post
    Many drivers have sw4 on for half voltage I believe this is for standby mode only to solve that problem, but if they are touchable they are probably not to hot they are designed to run hot.
    If you had at least some clue, you'd know it's reduced current mode, not voltage mode. Getting a basic thing like that wrong could cause major issues for inexperienced people, or at the very least confuse their understanding of the settings.

    Quote Originally Posted by lucan07 View Post
    Likely the way the standby is accomplished, e.g. a PC can be sleeping completely monitoring a 3.3v micro current or running lots uf stuff in background and just turning screen & disks off.
    PC standby should have no effect on stepper motor current, unless the PC is shutting down enough to also shutdown the motion controller and disable the stepper drivers. Also, at this point, Andy had not even mentioned what system his Triac is running.
    But given we now know it's Mach, if the computer shut down enough to drop communication with the ESS, I would expect Mach to display an error, or even crash when the computer exits standby.
    However, I've never ran an ESS, and all my machine computers are set to never enter standby, and to only shutdown when requested to.

    Quote Originally Posted by lucan07 View Post
    I do know very little about Denford machines but I believe they use the Eurostep controller on the Triac, recovering from standby the Eurostep can sometimes need to be reset from the command prompt to enable the amplifier to start thus enabling power to drive to the motors which had been cut presumably by the standby/sleep state.

    On the Denford system thats getting warm control has been replaced by mach3 a smoothstepper 5 axis bob etc, its hardly a denford controlled or tuned system now, which is why I pointed out a possible difference.
    So despite not knowing the Triac in question was running Mach/ESS, you posted up about a relatively obscure problem, that probably only affected certain controllers, despite the fact Denford fitted multiple different controllers.


    Andy, sorry to do this in your thread, it's just that I hate seeing people post information that is wrong, irrelevant, and/or makes assumptions without knowing the facts or at least mentioning certain things have been assumed.
    As I got drummed in to me during my apprenticeship, never assume anything, as it makes an Ass out of U and Me.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

  6. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    I'm bored tonight, so here we go from this thread alone
    If you had at least some clue, you'd know it's reduced current mode, not voltage mode. Getting a basic thing like that wrong could cause major issues for inexperienced people, or at the very least confuse their understanding of the settings.
    Current/voltage reduced when not in use, how can this cause a problem?

    [/QUOTE]
    PC standby should have no effect on stepper motor current, unless the PC is shutting down enough to also shutdown the motion controller and disable the stepper drivers. Also, at this point, Andy had not even mentioned what system his Triac is running.
    But given we now know it's Mach, if the computer shut down enough to drop communication with the ESS, I would expect Mach to display an error, or even crash when the computer exits standby.
    However, I've never ran an ESS, and all my machine computers are set to never enter standby, and to only shutdown when requested to.
    [/QUOTE]

    I said triac probablty goes to standby like a pc and quoted pc modes as an example, no problem with this machine so whats your point.

    [/QUOTE]
    So despite not knowing the Triac in question was running Mach/ESS, you posted up about a relatively obscure problem, that probably only affected certain controllers, despite the fact Denford fitted multiple different controllers.
    [/QUOTE]

    I new triacs had that facility and problem so mentioned it, it was not regarding the faulty machine rather the one that was working!
    Pick your dummy up and go troll somewhere else!

  7. #37
    m_c's Avatar
    Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 6 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,833. Received thanks 192 times, giving thanks to others 5 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by lucan07 View Post
    I new triacs had that facility and problem so mentioned it, it was not regarding the faulty machine rather the one that was working!
    Pick your dummy up and go troll somewhere else!
    What faulty machine?
    You were the one who mentioned an issue which involved you assuming something, but not actually mentioning enough details about when that issue would apply.

    BTW, my dummy is fine, and I'm not trolling. I'm just highlighting the misguided information in a few of your posts. If I was really trolling, I wouldn't bother explaining why your posts were misguided, I'd just post ill informed responses to see how much other BS you can come up with.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

  8. #38
    No idea what the last post says, as you're not worth talking too certainly not listening too PS theres a goat crossing the bridge!

  9. #39
    just properly ran some code on the machine, I had ot stop after 20 mins as the motors burnt my hand to touch.

    all 3 seems to be getting the same temp.

    how do I go about trying to resolve this?

  10. #40
    If you are still running at 36v 2.8a I would try dropping it to 1.5a to see if they still heat up if they can't handle 1.5a maybe try some different drivers. Was the machine running when you purchased it or did you never see it running?
    Last edited by lucan07; 05-06-2016 at 08:58 PM.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. FOR SALE: Denford Starmill ATC
    By andy_con in forum Items For Sale
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14-02-2016, 10:16 PM
  2. 1999 Denford Microrouter problems
    By D-man in forum Denford Routers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 21-03-2015, 12:43 PM
  3. Denford MicroRouter Compact, what to do next?
    By paul_m in forum Denford Routers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-01-2015, 09:51 AM
  4. FOR SALE: Denford cnc
    By john legge in forum Items For Sale
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 17-03-2013, 11:18 PM
  5. Denford CNC MicroRouter
    By mekanik in forum Milling Machines, Builds & Conversions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 27-08-2012, 06:57 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •