. .
    hi everyone ,,,im interested in building a 3 axis router for the machining of sheet material " 8 foot * 4 foot " capacity,, i have a workshop for staircase and joinery manufacturing , and would like to branch off into something lighter...i would like to build something for machining of mdf and ply,,,also hardwood...im new to all this so a lot of reading will be needed i have seen a machine online that i liked the style of and maybe be similar to what i want i have included a picture ,,advice on products and supplires would be much appreciated,,,,
    thanks voyager1972
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cnc router.jpeg 
Views:	194 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	18406  

2. Best thing to do is start reading build logs on here... And start drawing. I wouldn't buy a thing until you have a decent design. What cad software will you be using? I would get a 3d model up and then you will get some feedback.

thanks joe for the reply ::what software would you recomend for a drawing ,,,i have autocad ,,,but my 3d drawing capabilities are limited,

Quote Originally Posted by voyager1972 View Post
    thanks joe for the reply ::what software would you recomend for a drawing ,,,i have autocad ,,,but my 3d drawing capabilities are limited,
    From what I've seen, Sketchup looks like the most popular, but if you have some AutoCAD experience, then something like Fusion 360 or OnShape are very powerful 3D CAD tools - and free for home&hobby users. OnShape is arguably the easier of the two to start using but F360 a bit more powerful.

Fusion360 is very easy to learn plenty of tutorials available as it is CAD\CAM will produce models and G-code in same program.

6. If you don't mind shelling out £200, I would highly recommend Moi3D it is a dead easy and quick NURBS modeller which builds "solid" geometry
    Last edited by JoeHarris; 07-05-2016 at 09:14 AM.

The machine in your picture has a very low gantry. If you could make yours even lower that would improve it by leaps and bounds.

Do not let pictures of machines with huge Z axis clearance persuade your to make it any higher.

Your machine is for sheet so design it for sheet. No silly overhangs, keep it tight

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Robin Hewitt For This Useful Post:

Hopefully I'll get a drawing done shortly as I've been busy with work lately,,,been looking at some products....would 80*80 extrusion be sturdy enough for the frame ,,,also 20mm linear rails and hiwin guide blocks for the x,y axis.....also rack and pinion on the x,y axis,,,driven by nema 34 steppers,,,the extrusion I viewed on k,j,n. aluminum profiles...

Quote Originally Posted by voyager1972 View Post
    Hopefully I'll get a drawing done shortly as I've been busy with work lately,,,been looking at some products....would 80*80 extrusion be sturdy enough for the frame ,,,also 20mm linear rails and hiwin guide blocks for the x,y axis.....also rack and pinion on the x,y axis,,,driven by nema 34 steppers,,,the extrusion I viewed on k,j,n. aluminum profiles...
    Yes.
    Yes and Yes.

34's would be ott and a world of expenses, plus more. The "go to" nema 23's in the 3Nm flavour would do you proud.

.Me
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 18-07-2016 at 11:44 AM.
    .Me

Thread Information