. .
Page 35 of 42 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast
    Lives in Lytham St. Annes, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 4 Hours Ago Has been a member for 6-7 years. Has a total post count of 417. Received thanks 61 times, giving thanks to others 10 times.
    Yes, got to be worth waiting for the right one. Buy in haste, repent at leisure etc. If you buy a heavy old dog you will be stuck with a money / effort pit.

The Shizuoka didn't sell for the starting price so I contacted the seller and suggested something more workable and he went with it.

I've seen people make a hole in the roof to make room for a taller machine.....

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzzer View Post
    Yes, got to be worth waiting for the right one. Buy in haste, repent at leisure etc. If you buy a heavy old dog you will be stuck with a money / effort pit.

The Shizuoka didn't sell for the starting price so I contacted the seller and suggested something more workable and he went with it.

I've seen people make a hole in the roof to make room for a taller machine.....
    Rented house :-( Otherwise Id have no problem 'fixing' the roof.

Lives in Lytham St. Annes, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 4 Hours Ago Has been a member for 6-7 years. Has a total post count of 417. Received thanks 61 times, giving thanks to others 10 times.
    As John says, converting a Bridgeport isn't really the best way to go. I'm also part way through doing one myself (I was doing it when I had the accident with the mouse on ebay) and their construction is nothing like a pukka machine. Having said that, there are quite a few BP-type CNC machines that were made as CNC from new, not just the Interact type. Get one of those with ballscrews, servos etc and fit a modern controller.

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    As John says, converting a Bridgeport isn't really the best way to go. I'm also part way through doing one myself (I was doing it when I had the accident with the mouse on ebay) and their construction is nothing like a pukka machine. Having said that, there are quite a few BP-type CNC machines that were made as CNC from new, not just the Interact type. Get one of those with ballscrews, servos etc and fit a modern controller.
    Thanks, how do I know which ones these are? I dont have the experience / knowledge? Is anything previously 'cnced' worth looking at?

I would say if it's been fitted with servos and a CNC controller from new, it's got to be a good candidate. Could be worn out of course but a lot of the work will have been done for you even then. If you spot one of these with an old controller, it may be a good price and not hard to update. The X and Y servos (and belt drive covers) are easy to spot. If it's only 2 axis, you can do the Z axis yourself.

I would say if it's been fitted with servos and a CNC controller from new, it's got to be a good candidate. Could be worn out of course but a lot of the work will have been done for you even then. If you spot one of these with an old controller, it may be a good price and not hard to update. The X and Y servos (and belt drive covers) are easy to spot. If it's only 2 axis, you can do the Z axis yourself.
    Thanks, have seen a DIY solution for Z where the machines are 2 axis only. One of these (bridgeport or clone), worth looking at then?

Ive got Thor for aluminium but would like something for steels or larger work area.

This is perfect but cant get a response from the seller - https://london.craigslist.co.uk/tld/...611374089.html

Generally on a quill machine the Z axis is done by driving the quill through a yoke attached where the feed stop used to be.

Have a look at what I've been doing - some CAD models here https://mightyshiz.blogspot.com/2018...on-z-axis.html

Generally on a quill machine the Z axis is done by driving the quill through a yoke attached where the feed stop used to be.

Have a look at what I've been doing - some CAD models here https://mightyshiz.blogspot.com/2018...on-z-axis.html
    Thanks, appreciate sharing this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    This is perfect but cant get a response from the seller - https://london.craigslist.co.uk/tld/...611374089.html
    That looks pretty nice. Seems remarkably cheap. If it is all there, sounds ideal. Even if it's not working it might be worth it.

Page 35 of 42 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Thread Information