. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Never done this before, logging progress onlie as well as the retro-fit.

So I have a Denford Router that has been converted to Mach3 by previous owner.Since I have had it I have already fitted a Chinese 2.2kw water cooled spindle so now it is time to upgrade the control which at the moment is Mach3 with a cheap BOB and the original Baldor drive board.

After getting some great advice off theis forum the new setup will be UCCNC with an AXBB-E Motion controller and Stepper Motor Driver 6.0A, 80V CNC Microstepping CW806 stepper drivers powered with a hoe made PSU using a Airlink 500VA 230v to 2x45v toroidal transformer. The intention is to use as much of the existing electronics where possible.

Here is the control cabinet just after I started:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	start.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	318.9 KB 
ID:	27821

Progress after day 1. I have identified the X,Y & Z stepper cables and will identify the home switches later. My plan of attack is to disconnect and remove everythng that isn't going to be needed like the old Danford spindle controller. Hopefully I will just be left with the original power/relay/fuses (I did say hopefully)

Things are going well with the cabinet looking a lot emptier.

Name:	prog2.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	349.0 KB 
ID:	27828

Bending down inside a cabnet is not as easy as it was (you'll know when you get older) so some work has been done on the new control gear to give my back a rest

Name:	board1.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	167.1 KB 
ID:	27829
    Last edited by ngwagwa; 15-04-2020 at 08:02 PM.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 19 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    The attachments are not working
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    The attachments are not working
    Bugger they were - try now.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 19 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by ngwagwa View Post
    Bugger they were - try now.
    They are now. but would be nice to have them rotated
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

[QUOTE=Clive S;116028]They are now. but would be nice to have them rotated[/QUOTE
    how do I do that, they are the right way up on the PC?

Not a lot of progress, having to stay home awaiting deliveries doesn't help.

Cabinet fully stripped of all unwanted items

Name:	log3.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	180.5 KB 
ID:	27857

And a little progress on the new lectrics

Name:	log4.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	322.1 KB 
ID:	27858

Still can't get the pictures the right way round

Next step work out the new wiring.

Flashing lights and no magic smoke.

Name:	log5.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	288.2 KB 
ID:	27877

I need to source some bigger terminals for the transformer to rectifier connection and a twisted ethernet cable as going via a hub is having issues connecting.
    The UCCNC software imported the Mach3 setting but although it let me set the E-stop and probe pins and port it doesn't save the home pin or port (looks like I will be googling tonight)

Lessons learned today.
    You can lose a screwdriver several times in a small space.
    DIN rail connectors are not the easiest thing to get the end of a wire in.
    An electricl schematic is no substitute for a wiring diagram for an amateur.

Quote Originally Posted by ngwagwa View Post

DIN rail connectors are not the easiest thing to get the end of a wire in.
    One good reason why some of us use crimp-on ferrules! They make putting wires into DIN connectors and other difficult-to-reach places a whole lot easier, and less chance of odd strands shorting out on adjacent terminals. I used them for the first time wiring my own control box and I'm a convert. Other people reckon they don't make as reliable a long-term connection but I'm not sure I could have managed to get wires into all the connectors in my box without them.

Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    One good reason why some of us use crimp-on ferrules! They make putting wires into DIN connectors and other difficult-to-reach places a whole lot easier, and less chance of odd strands shorting out on adjacent terminals. I used them for the first time wiring my own control box and I'm a convert. Other people reckon they don't make as reliable a long-term connection but I'm not sure I could have managed to get wires into all the connectors in my box without them.
    I did tin the ends of all the new cables I used and the old cables used already had crimp-on ferrules. I guess there's a knack to it which obviously I don't have.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information