. .
Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3139404142 LastLast
    Am i missing something? Why you need 750w servos on a Bridgeport. 400w will do the job
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Quote Originally Posted by Boyan Silyavski View Post
    Am i missing something? Why you need 750w servos on a Bridgeport. 400w will do the job
    Ye, I think it was a question from someone else and it's gone off topic a bit. Nothing to do with this thread I think.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Colin if you use servos what controller are you going to use and how do you plan to run them.? Analog or Step/Dir.
    I don't know i will need to find out. Do the cheap Chinese controllers do both methods?

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Barron View Post
    I don't know i will need to find out. Do the cheap Chinese controllers do both methods?
    No, not normally.

Step / Dir is common. Analog, less so.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Barron View Post
    Can't answer that because depends how cheap your talking. If you are talking the Newker type then I think most of them have both but if you are talking the really cheap Chinese controllers then no most will only be Step/dir.

However, my main reason for asking this question was more to find out if what you plan to use will provide high enough frequency that you can get the full resolution and speed from the servos. Asking about Step/Dir was to get an idea of how hard or easy you are going to have it to set up the servos, esp if using the cheap Chinese servos which don't offer any help with motor tuning.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Ye, I think it was a question from someone else and it's gone off topic a bit. Nothing to do with this thread I think.
    Dave who started the thread used 750w servos.on his Bridgeport

To be honest, Colin if your converting a Bridge port then I would seriously consider Closed-Loop steppers because they will easily match the performance that Bridgeport limits you too. In my opinion, Servos are a costly and complicated overkill for a bridge port.

Now Stepper technology as got so much better with Digital drives and Closed-loop feedback then they are a good match for Older machines like Bridge ports.
    The secret is using the correct drives and sizing the motor. The Lichuan mains-powered drives that I use with 9Nm 3 phase motors will easily handle anything a Bridgeport will throw at them and are quite a bit Cheaper than cheap Chinese servos. They are simple devices with hardly any setting up required, just Fit and use.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3279...3cac6f37EbjJgf

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

On my easyiturn3 lathe it has steppers and Parker CD20/1 stepper drives, would this old tech work with one of these Newker controllers, http://newker-cnc.com/index.php?m=co...=166&l=3&id=91

Lives in Lytham St. Annes, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Hours Ago Has been a member for 6-7 years. Has a total post count of 417. Received thanks 61 times, giving thanks to others 10 times.
    Dunno that one but the incremental version of the Newker would almost certainly work with an existing stepper drive / motor setup. At some point there will be a step and dir signal to tap into. Even the old analogue controllers tended to have a step / dir output from the CNC controller before the signals passed through a "positioner" that generated the +/-10V control voltage. To my mind, there's a lot to be said for retaining the existing powertrain if it all works OK.

With the Newker controllers, make sure you don't get one of the "bus" versions, as they use some sort of serial bus to pass the positional signals etc to the (servo?) drives. The basic "incremental" ones send out the standard step and dir signals.

You'll notice that the screenshot of the controller in the link shows a 990TD (lathe) controller with X and Z keypads - but a 4 axis 990MD (milling) display showing X, Y, Z & A. The power of Photoshop!

Quote Originally Posted by Muzzer View Post
    With the Newker controllers, make sure you don't get one of the "bus" versions, as they use some sort of serial bus to pass the positional signals etc to the (servo?) drives. The basic "incremental" ones send out the standard step and dir signals.
    I think you can only use Newker Drives with there Bus Controllers because they use their own propriety protocol.

Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3139404142 LastLast

Thread Information