. .
Page 25 of 42 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
    Thanks, so there is no difference in current draw if a 3ph motor is running on 3ph or on converted single to 3ph via a vfd (apart from the internal vfd usage) ??

Just got a reply from my supplier, in a flat-out full-load situation, the draw on the supply will be 22.5A, above that then the inverter will start reducing speed, prolonged load will trigger a shutdown.

Question is - can a small Bridgeport actually USE 3Hp/15Nm at the spindle :)

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Davek0974 View Post
    Thanks, so there is no difference in current draw if a 3ph motor is running on 3ph or on converted single to 3ph via a vfd (apart from the internal vfd usage) ??
    That depends on where you're measuring the current, which is why you use the KW rating to work it out.
    I was going to mention just how much the VFD will allow the motor to run above it's rated power, but I see the supplier has answered that.
    Although the motor is rated at 3HP/2.2Kw, that'll be at 50Hz speed rating. When you increase speed, you can think of AC induction motors just like a steppers, in that the key factor is how much current you're putting through the windings.
    So double the speed, and you can double the power, which means your 2.2kw motor running at double the 50Hz speed could produce well over 4kw.
    Off course as with steppers, you need to monitor temperature, and if running at low speed a lot, you may want to consider getting a forced induction kit for the motor (aka a cooling fan that bolts onto the motor) to avoid overheating the motor.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Thanks, i had it running tonight and it draws about 3A idling.

It has a PTC built in for the temperature and that will be wired in to the VFD in due course.

Looks like i have exactly 10:1 speed ratio from 10 to 100Hz which figures, works out nicely at 300 to 3000rpm.

Stopping in 1s is pretty impressive :)

Now to configure it for cnc control...
    Last edited by Davek0974; 05-10-2016 at 07:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Davek0974 View Post
    Thanks, i had it running tonight and it draws about 3A idling.

It has a PTC built in for the temperature and that will be wired in to the VFD in due course.

Looks like i have exactly 10:1 speed ratio from 10 to 100Hz which figures, works out nicely at 300 to 3000rpm.

Stopping in 1s is pretty impressive :)

Now to configure it for cnc control...
    Will the momentum of the spindle and cutting tool not damage the belt if you continually stop quickly?

Probably not the belt but it will shag the keys and keyways up in the back gear unit.

That and the varispeed sheaves which Dave has got rid of are the weak points in these heads.
    No idea why anyone wants to stop that quickly anyway, it's not like a Bridgy is a production machine and saving 1 second on 15 auto toolchangers is a game changer
    John S -

Yes, its hard on the head and it sounds hard on the head, thats my reason to slow it down a bit, there really is no point in sudden stop on a machine with splined quill and all that other crap up top ;)

The chances are that most of the dog-clutch wear was caused by my using it for running a 12-1/2" dia fly-cutter when cutting the saddles on the traction engine cylinder block and chimney base and perch-bracket - these would take many hours of running in back-gear and really worked the old girl. It was a job for a HBM really but when you have a Bridgeport you can do pretty much anything;)

The tiny splines and those dodgy dogs are certainly a weak spot, rarely fail but wear a lot and get very vocal, you can wreck the dogs by being a jack-the-lad and changing gear while the spindle is running, would never do this but have seen the carnage caused.

The belt i have fitted is good for something like 60-70hp so i doubt that will be bothered ;)
    Last edited by Davek0974; 08-10-2016 at 08:31 AM.

Been messing with rigid tapping - looks like it will be good:)

Also have live spindle speed on screen by changing the DRO from 202 to 39

Have set the vfd display to show load in kW - i could mount the display remotely or fit an analogue 0-10v meter which would show 0-150% of motor power. So far i have not made it go over 600W :)

Getting there.
    Last edited by Davek0974; 13-10-2016 at 07:46 PM.

Fun little Sunday morning project to aid my education in Fusion, CAM etc...

Support bracket for the high speed spindle when not in use :)

Junk bits of 15mm ally plate, rigid tapping, chamfers the works ;)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dIMG_1600.jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	19463

Name:	dIMG_1601.jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	19462

Future thoughts...

Machine is working very nicely so far. However I still have big doubts about the weakest link in the system - the Z-axis drive, its a pretty tortured setup, the connection to the quill is poor being just one bolt, the block face is only around 15-20mm square where it bolts on, there is around 75mm from the quill to the ball-screw so there is a massive twisting moment acting on the joint and the ball-nut.

There is already movement visible between the nut and the quill - you can see the connecting arm twisting when nudging the ball-screw pulley by hand so it would be pretty rough under drilling or plunge-milling forces. I can see a very short life for the ball-nut as they don't like twisting moments, axial or radial but not twisting.

It was assembled with loctite but with only the one bolt I doubt that would do much.

I have a feeling it would have been better to go with the drive idea in the pictures below, the quill rack is designed to take all the Bridgeport can do, there is not much backlash and what there is could be helped with a gas-spring maybe to keep it under positive pressure.

No idea what the pinion gearing ratio is but likely something like 3" per turn so would use a bigger reduction from motor.

Just looking ahead, but as i said, I can see issues here already and thats only after a few jobs....

Name:	d_zaxis.jpg 
Views:	605 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	19486

Name:	D_bp_20.jpg 
Views:	462 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	19487

Page 25 of 42 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread Information