. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I saw this on the 'tube today and after reading all the build and design threads on here I thought it might be interesting to those builders.

This is built with 1/2" steel box frame and is every bit as good as a production unit...

https://youtu.be/b-y03hhCCME

I would love one of these.

We should consider that he used a VMC-15 to machine stuff for it and has what we might consider an unlimited budged though ;-)
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to magicniner For This Useful Post:

Yes, also worked for Haas ;) And built it in 8 weeks!

BUT, at the end of the day, it is made from steel box, HiWin rails and ballscrews - stuff we play with all the time.

I think it just shows that basic stuff can build seriously good machines.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Davek0974 For This Useful Post:

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 16 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    He was a founder of FADAL, not Haas ;)

And it's not quite bog standard steel box. IIRC it's a high tensile cromoly steel.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Quote Originally Posted by Davek0974 View Post
    I think it just shows that basic stuff can build seriously good machines.
    One of the key ingredients was was the budget, another was a VMC big enough to make major parts, and to face up and square the mounting points on the weldments.
    I don't think the workshop facilities he has can really be included in "basic stuff" ;-)
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    He was a founder of FADAL, not Haas ;)

And it's not quite bog standard steel box. IIRC it's a high tensile cromoly steel.

My bad ;)

I still thinks its a cool machine though, yes he used big machines to build it but then we could send a frame out for machining to big company - it's not that expensive.

Yes the steel is cromoly but that is available.

The motion was bog-standard HiWin though, most likely with pre-load etc but still HiWin.

He just copied a production machine and scaled it down, but it proves it can be done without throwing three hundred tons of steel at it ;)

If we all had the same resources he had our machines would be better, mine was built using a micro mill less than £500 new with a £100 conversion and no previous experience. His workshop and his budget I would have built a better machine than I did and in your case I would guess your mini mill would have grown and had that £4k ATC spindle.

Don't get me wrong here, I think what we have all built or are contemplating building here are simply fantastic, what I am trying to say is that the frame for his build probably did not cost that much, yes he has a whole lot of bells and whistles added but at the core it's just an L-shape steel box frame and I would wager that it could be done a lot cheaper than his and still get the results as the design is sound and shows that mass is important - his bed must weigh a fair bit alone.
    :)

Agree with Dave 100%.
    The basic frame isn't anything special and easily with in anyones grasp given realistic budget and determination. The main difference I see is the fact he's got inside knowledge of how Pro machines are built and full access to fendors that can spec and provide the bells n whistles. Being a millionare doesn't hurt is task either.!!

Give me 12K and I'll build something to equal or better it.!!

Give me 12K and I'll build something to equal or better it.!!
    Would that be Lira if so I will take you up on it
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information