. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good morning,
    I am looking for assistance with wiring for a 4th axis on a Boxford router, I made one and run it off a divisionmaster which has 4 wires - looked into the Boxford socket - 8 (mostly red) wires !
    tried to glean some info from Boxford . . . . . .
    Apparrently I will blow the board if I get it wrong (2k) or its 2.5k for a unit from them !
    any help or direction would be greatly appreciated
    thanks
    j

A Google search for 8 wire stepper motor wiring in conjunction with a comparison with the existing wiring should provide the required information.
    I know you can wire an 8-wire stepper to a 4-wire driver but I'm not sure if you can wire a 4-wire stepper to an 8-wire driver, with any luck someone with direct experience will step in and save the day ;-)

- Nick
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

https://learn.adafruit.com/all-about...es-of-steppers

If you have an 8-wire driver it looks like you need an 8-wire stepper as you probably don't have access in the 4-wire stepper to split out the required coil connections if they are all there.
    Last edited by magicniner; 25-05-2016 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    https://learn.adafruit.com/all-about...es-of-steppers

If you have an 8-wire driver it looks like you need an 8-wire stepper as you probably don't have access in the 4-wire stepper to split out the required coil connections if they are all there.
    Thanks for the link, spotted the Blue smoke monster !
    Don't really want to get associated with the likes of him.
    Still would be unsure if all the wires in the socket on the machine were all for the stepper motor windings ?
    funny how once the seed of doubt has been sown - it doesn't require feeding or watering to gain a hold !
    wouldn't mind half an hour in a well lit room with someone else's . . . .and a camera,pencil & paper ;@)

Do you have a multi-meter? If so you can disconnect another stepper and meter out the wiring to find out which pins go to which motor wires.

- Nick

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    As a first step, I'd be tracing the wires to see where they go inside the control box.

I'd guess only 4 of the wires are for the stepper, with the others being inputs for sensors/switches, and/or outputs for controlling locks/actuators.

Hopefully by tracing where the wires go, you'll be able to work out what they do.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    I'd guess only 4 of the wires are for the stepper.
    Steppers come in 4, 6 and 8 wire flavours, not just 4, it is possible to connect a 4-wire driver to 6 and 8 wire steppers by externally connecting the circuits to a 4-wire configuration, but if you have a 6 or 8 wire driver you cannot use a 4 wire stepper

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    Steppers come in 4, 6 and 8 wire flavours, not just 4, it is possible to connect a 4-wire driver to 6 and 8 wire steppers by externally connecting the circuits to a 4-wire configuration, but if you have a 6 or 8 wire driver you cannot use a 4 wire stepper
    Which is why I said to physically trace the wires inside the control box. The stepper driver wires should all connect in the same area, possibly to an individual driver, which means you know exactly what wires power the stepper motor.
    Then it just leaves the other individual wires, which by tracing, will hopefully connect to a terminal with some form of name to work out what they do.

I would very much doubt that all 8 wires are solely for powering a stepper motor, given Boxford typically only use 4 wire drivers.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to m_c For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    Boxford typically only use 4 wire drivers.
    That is really useful information.

[QUOTE=m_c;80406]Which is why I said to physically trace the wires inside the control box. The stepper driver wires should all connect in the same area, possibly to an individual driver, which means you know exactly what wires power the stepper motor.
    Then it just leaves the other individual wires, which by tracing, will hopefully connect to a terminal with some form of name to work out what they do.

I would very much doubt that all 8 wires are solely for powering a stepper motor, given Boxford typically only use 4 wire drivers.[/QUOTE
    Sound advice, been into it today, 8 wires in the socket
    2 red singles 2 orange singles.
    1 multicore red blue green yellow.
    traced back to 2 boardsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	366 
Size:	224.1 KB 
ID:	18516Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	317 
Size:	289.4 KB 
ID:	18517
    Ok up til there . . . . I can meter out one of the other steppers to work out the wiring, but I haven't a clue what the red and orange ones do - they are a bigger section (18swg) than the multicores. Could they be for power ? Galloping ahead, I have never seen one of the Boxford 4th axis' in the flesh, does anyone know if they are direct drive or reduction ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information