. .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Maybe best to stick a thicker grease then, however you want something that won't dry out quickly.

I'd give a good oil supplier a call and see what they recommend.
    Lots of the more common greases (including CV/Moly grease) will dry out surprisingly quick when open to the atmosphere and a bit warmth. The only grease I've used lately that never seems to dry out, is a red grease from the local agricultural dealers, but it may be a bit on the thick side.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

I tried ringing a couple yesterday, apart from telling me that the codes i was searching for did not exist in the UK, they would offer no recommendation incase it was the wrong choice. :(

These guys are the remnants of Bridgeport Uk. I recall the grease was in a tube and was squirted in via a oiling hole in the back of the head and it was white. If i saw the name of the stuff again i would know it instantly. Old school apprentice that had to do the weekly machine oiling of a whole toolroom for 5 years!

Call these guys there is nothing they don't know about Bridgeports.

http://braithwaiterebuild.co.uk/

Slap a good handfull of axle grease in there Dave and call it a job you'll end up with grey hair and a frown (just like me) at this rate!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to lucan07 For This Useful Post:

I had a chat with Braithwaite this morning, the result was that they just use a black moly grease so thats what i'll stuff in there :)

Pretty much CV joint grease.

As used in many axles?

Yep ;) It seems there is no direct sub for the US products in the UK so they just load it with Moly grease.

Still on the subject of BP lube...

The oil cup on the right side of the 2J head, the big one for the spindle, there is a tube on the inside and a wick.

Has anyone got a picture of where this tube and wick should point when reassembled please?

I can't find one in any manual or on youtube.

Thanks

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Without having ever paid any attention to Bridgeport heads, my guess would be it should be positioned so that oil drips onto whatever it's meant to be lubricating.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

:)

Yes but there are a few things it could be - the spindle bearings are one target but there is also the quill itself, not sure if it is meant for one or both somehow.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information